Re: [ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.5-21 released

Berger, Daniel

8/30/2006 2:38:00 PM

What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
bundle a compiler with the distro?

http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...

Regards,

Dan

PS - Maybe now would be a good time to finish up that Win32API article
I've been working on. :)

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

Alexandru Popescu

On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> [...]

Do you think you are allowed to distribute MS compiler (and the other
tools needed)? (cause I don't think so).

/alex
--
w( the_mindstorm )p.

> PS - Maybe now would be a good time to finish up that Win32API article
> I've been working on. :)
>

> This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential or
> privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
> all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Curt Hibbs

On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:

> What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> bundle a compiler with the distro?
>
> http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

That's a very interesting idea. It would really provide a standard
environment for building ruby extensions.

Curt

John Lam

I just sent out a mail to some friends at MSFT to see if this is even
remotely possible. VC 6 is a really old product, but I could imagine
the approvals that would be necessary to make something like this
happen.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know ... :)

-John
http://www.iu...

On 8/30/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> >
> > What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> > bundle a compiler with the distro?
> >
> > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dan
>
> That's a very interesting idea. It would really provide a standard
> environment for building ruby extensions.
>
> Curt

Alexandru Popescu

On 8/30/06, John Lam <drjflam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just sent out a mail to some friends at MSFT to see if this is even
> remotely possible. VC 6 is a really old product, but I could imagine
> the approvals that would be necessary to make something like this
> happen.
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know ... :)

Hmmm... you are an optimistic person :-]. Is there a list of the
needed utilities that should be distributed? (I mean cl.exe, nmake,
etc).

/alex
--
:Architect of InfoQ.com:
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

> -John
> http://www.iu...
>

> On 8/30/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> > > bundle a compiler with the distro?
> > >
> > > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > That's a very interesting idea. It would really provide a standard
> > environment for building ruby extensions.
> >
> > Curt

John Lam

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a list if we get the go-ahead.

This is something that various folks at MSFT have fought for over the
years - getting a compiler into the core Windows distribution. That's
*finally* going to happen with Vista since .NET FX 3.0 ships as an
install-by-default optional component (check box is on by default but
no dependencies on .NET FX 3.0 by the core OS). C# and VB.NET will be
there, but I don't know if VC++ will be there.

-John
http://www.iu...

> On 8/30/06, John Lam <drjflam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just sent out a mail to some friends at MSFT to see if this is even
> > remotely possible. VC 6 is a really old product, but I could imagine
> > the approvals that would be necessary to make something like this
> > happen.
> >
> > I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know ... :)
> >

> Hmmm... you are an optimistic person :-]. Is there a list of the
> needed utilities that should be distributed? (I mean cl.exe, nmake,
> etc).
>
> ./alex
> --
> :Architect of InfoQ.com:
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>
> > -John
> > http://www.iu...

> > > That's a very interesting idea. It would really provide a standard
> > > environment for building ruby extensions.
> > >
> > > Curt

Curt Hibbs

> On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> >
> > What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> > bundle a compiler with the distro?
> >
> > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Do you think you are allowed to distribute MS compiler (and the other
> tools needed)? (cause I don't think so).

No, you can't redistribute MS tools. This would only be a possibility
is we go the MinGW route.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

I wouldn't even have thought it to be possible, but it can't hurt to ask.

Curt

On 8/30/06, John Lam <drjflam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just sent out a mail to some friends at MSFT to see if this is even
> remotely possible. VC 6 is a really old product, but I could imagine
> the approvals that would be necessary to make something like this
> happen.
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know ... :)
>
> -John
> http://www.iu...
>

> On 8/30/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> > > bundle a compiler with the distro?
> > >
> > > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > That's a very interesting idea. It would really provide a standard
> > environment for building ruby extensions.
> >
> > Curt

Alexandru Popescu

On 8/30/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger@qwest.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What about doing something along the lines of Strawberry Perl, i.e.
> > > bundle a compiler with the distro?
> > >
> > > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Straw...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >

> > Do you think you are allowed to distribute MS compiler (and the other
> > tools needed)? (cause I don't think so).
>
> No, you can't redistribute MS tools. This would only be a possibility
> is we go the MinGW route.
>
> Curt

I remember I've started a long discussion about this in the past, but
I don't know the conclusion of MinGW vs VC. Would it be possible and
how complex would be to currently move the One-Click installer from VC
to MinGW?

/alex
--
w( the_mindstorm )p.

Austin Ziegler

> I remember I've started a long discussion about this in the past, but
> I don't know the conclusion of MinGW vs VC. Would it be possible and
> how complex would be to currently move the One-Click installer from VC
> to MinGW?

Do you want to have a 64-bit Ruby on Windows eventually?

If the answer is yes, MinGW is completely stalled on this matter. The
only answer there is VC8.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Alexandru Popescu

On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I remember I've started a long discussion about this in the past, but
> > I don't know the conclusion of MinGW vs VC. Would it be possible and
> > how complex would be to currently move the One-Click installer from VC
> > to MinGW?
>
> Do you want to have a 64-bit Ruby on Windows eventually?

I don't have such machine so for the moment my answer would be no. But
considering the spread of Ruby, this version would be quite normal to
exist at some point.

> If the answer is yes, MinGW is completely stalled on this matter. The
> only answer there is VC8.

Austin do you know if MinGW is at least planning to support this or is
it a dead-end?

/alex
--
w( the_mindstorm )p.