regarding memcache client...

hemant kumar

I am using memcache-client written by beloved :) eric hodel for session
caching in rails, and but I would like to use this for some in-memory
caching in my other programs.

I am not able to use it outside rails somehow. require 'memcache' throws, no
such file to load, when I have the gem in
"/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/memcache-client-1.3/ and rails is using it
allright.

The API for memcache also doesn't make it clear, how do I use it in my own
applications. can anyone clarify on this?

Also, when using CachedModel for activerecord caching..how exactly it works?
how often will it do read and write to db?

What exactly is meant by "in-process" caching that CacheModel does?
Also the after_filter stuff that is supposed to flush the local cache in
rails, I would like to know what is meant by "local cache" stuff and how it
determines when to flush that content?

2 Answers

Cliff Cyphers

If mechanize was installed as a gem do you have:
require 'rubygems'
before the:
require 'mechanize'

hemant kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using memcache-client written by beloved :) eric hodel for session
> caching in rails, and but I would like to use this for some in-memory
> caching in my other programs.
>
> I am not able to use it outside rails somehow. require 'memcache' throws, no
> such file to load, when I have the gem in
> "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/memcache-client-1.3/ and rails is using it
> allright.
>
> The API for memcache also doesn't make it clear, how do I use it in my own
> applications. can anyone clarify on this?
>
> Also, when using CachedModel for activerecord caching..how exactly it works?
> how often will it do read and write to db?
>
> What exactly is meant by "in-process" caching that CacheModel does?
> Also the after_filter stuff that is supposed to flush the local cache in
> rails, I would like to know what is meant by "local cache" stuff and how it
> determines when to flush that content?

Eric Hodel

On Aug 30, 2006, at 5:26 AM, hemant kumar wrote:

> I am using memcache-client written by beloved :) eric hodel for
> session
> caching in rails, and but I would like to use this for some in-memory
> caching in my other programs.
>
> I am not able to use it outside rails somehow. require 'memcache'
> throws, no
> such file to load, when I have the gem in
> "/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/memcache-client-1.3/ and rails is
> using it
> allright.

You probably forgot to require 'rubygems'.

> The API for memcache also doesn't make it clear, how do I use it in
> my own
> applications. can anyone clarify on this?

Start with the documentation:

http://dev.robotcoop.com/Libraries/memcache-client/...

How you use it in your own application depends upon what you want to
cache.

> Also, when using CachedModel for activerecord caching..how exactly
> it works?
> how often will it do read and write to db?

http://dev.robotcoop.com/Libraries/cached_model/...

CachedModel has write-through behavior.

> What exactly is meant by "in-process" caching that CacheModel does?
> Also the after_filter stuff that is supposed to flush the local
> cache in
> rails, I would like to know what is meant by "local cache" stuff
> and how it
> determines when to flush that content?

The local cache is just a hash. If you don't flush it it will fill
up your memory with ActiveRecord objects. I recommend not using it.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...