Madness this way lies...

John Carter

Hal E. Fulton

John Carter wrote:
> Ah me. In a fit of over user friendliness I did a couple of the most
> colossally stupid things in a class.

[snip]

But aren't you glad you *can* do these things... ;)

Hal

Joel VanderWerf

Hal Fulton wrote:
> John Carter wrote:
>> Ah me. In a fit of over user friendliness I did a couple of the most
>> colossally stupid things in a class.
>
> [snip]
>
> But aren't you glad you *can* do these things... ;)
>

> Hal

But then there is the punishment...

100.times {puts "I will not do colossally stupid things in a class."}

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Hal Fulton wrote:
>> John Carter wrote:
>>> Ah me. In a fit of over user friendliness I did a couple of the most
>>> colossally stupid things in a class.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> But aren't you glad you *can* do these things... ;)
>>

>> Hal
>
> But then there is the punishment...
>
> 100.times {puts "I will not do colossally stupid things in a class."}

But ... but ... but ... you *redefined* "puts"

:)

Rick DeNatale

On 8/30/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/06, John Carter <john.carter@tait.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Ah me. In a fit of over user friendliness I did a couple of
> > the most colossally stupid things in a class.
> >
> > I, with head hung in shame, record them here so that...
> > * others may avoid them,
> > * I remember to avoid them later,
> > * writers of obfusticated ruby may benefit.
> >
> > a) Name a method the same as something in the Kernel module and then
> > forget that you have done so.
> >
> > In particular I overrode "puts" in something that didn't inherit from
> > IO. OUCH! That really does make printing debugging statements
> > interesting.
> >
> > b) Put various key Ruby terms (eg. "raise") in alias statements.
> >
> > c) Do two or more of these very very dumb things in the same body of code.
>

> This is a chellange, I am sure I can do better or was it worse?

This reminds me of the cartoons which are sprinked throughout
"Smalltalk-80: Bits of History, Words of Advice." No doubt long out
of print.

Some of these were

A black frame with a cartoon word bubble saying "OOPS! I just typed
'Processor <- nil.'!"

A plane with the right wing coming off and flames coming out, and the
pilot saying "I think we'd better boot and resume!"

A woman painting a floor with a paint labled "New System" she's
painted herself into a small corner labled "Old System" then she steps
out of the corner, paints it and says "The nice thing about Smalltalk
is that the paint dries instantly!"

And my favorite, a series of pictures on the left word balloons on the right:

"Here we go!"
3+4
FLASH "Oh...too bad"
later
"Once more!"
3+4

DzzDD,,
Geep
Z,4hcn
"Hmmmmm"
later
"This out to be better!"
3+4

LAD Compiler doe
not understand => ^h,,3ep

"Well now!..."
later
3+4
Class text image
"Oh, I think I know what that is..."
later
3+4
9
"All Right!
Hey everybody, Smalltalk works!"
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Morton Goldberg

You're probably right about it being out of print, but you can
download a PDF from the following URL. The scan is a bit fuzzy but
it's fairly readable.

<http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks/BitsOfHi...

Regards, Morton

On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> This reminds me of the cartoons which are sprinked throughout
> "Smalltalk-80: Bits of History, Words of Advice." No doubt long out
> of print.

John Johnson

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:00:20 -0400, Morton Goldberg =

=

> readable.
>
> <http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks/BitsOfHi...

Cool! Thanks. Used on Amazon start at US$41.66!

I still think Ruby would be great in the Smalltalk environment.
Squeak + Ruby =3D Reek ?

Maybe I'll get around to writing it myself one day. Better do a Google =

first :-)

As far as redefining, I seem to have a penchant for doing that with 'typ=
e'.

Regards,
JJ

-- =

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera...

Chad Perrin

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:38:46PM +0900, John Johnson wrote:

> I still think Ruby would be great in the Smalltalk environment.
> Squeak + Ruby = Reek ?

Scooby?

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
This sig for rent: a Signify v1.14 production from http://www.d...

Eric Hodel

On Aug 29, 2006, at 8:23 PM, John Carter wrote:

> Ah me. In a fit of over user friendliness I did a couple of the
> most colossally stupid things in a class.
>
> I, with head hung in shame, record them here so that...
> * others may avoid them,
> * I remember to avoid them later,
> * writers of obfusticated ruby may benefit.
>
> a) Name a method the same as something in the Kernel module and then
> forget that you have done so.
>
> In particular I overrode "puts" in something that didn't inherit
> from
> IO. OUCH! That really does make printing debugging statements
> interesting.

Actually, I love to do this for tests, especially when I use open-uri.

http://blog.se.../articles/2005/11/20/open-uri-makes-...

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

David Vallner

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:38:46PM +0900, John Johnson wrote:
>> I still think Ruby would be great in the Smalltalk environment.
>> Squeak + Ruby = Reek ?
>
> Scooby?

Can anyone recommend a good neurone peeling brand? I need a brainscrub.

David Vallner