Austin Ziegler

8/29/2006 5:37:00 PM

On 8/29/06, Meredith Lucks <delucks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I am new to ruby,
> Does anyone know how to install ruby on Cygwin?

Yes. Use the packages they provide or build from source.

Better yet, don't use Cygwin.

-a
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

2 Answers

David Vallner

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Better yet, don't use Cygwin.

Nothing wrong with Cygwin. Unless you want decent performance, or
non-weird behaviour, or being able to run non-cygwin console programs
with doskey command completion, or...

Hmm.

Oh.

That aside, I keep it around on my work box for the zero-effort
installation of random crap^H^Heature comforts. Like bash for a shell
with non-stupid tab completion, and locate, which I couldn't live
without and couldn't get to work on Windows in any non-Cygwin variant.

David Vallner

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Meredith Lucks <delucks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi I am new to ruby,
>> Does anyone know how to install ruby on Cygwin?
>
> Yes. Use the packages they provide or build from source.
>
> Better yet, don't use Cygwin.
>
> -a

I just updated CygWin this afternoon and it is now carrying Ruby 1.8.5.
So there's little need to build from source unless you're into doing
that. :)