[OT] An early farewell to optical media

Trans

8/29/2006 4:49:00 PM

Since it seems like such a slow day, I wrote a little piece on optical
media if anyone's interested: http://weblands.blo.... Anyway, no
big deal, just thought some of you might be interested, esspecially the
graph (which turned out to be much more difficult to create than I
thought it would be).

T.

5 Answers

Rich Morin

Cool! I recall going to the first CD-ROM conference, put on
by M$. At the time, 600 MB seemed HUGE.

-r
--
http://www.cf... Rich Morin
http://www.cf.../resume rdm@cfcl.com

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:50:30AM +0900, Trans wrote:
> Since it seems like such a slow day, I wrote a little piece on optical
> media if anyone's interested: http://weblands.blo.... Anyway, no
> big deal, just thought some of you might be interested, esspecially the
> graph (which turned out to be much more difficult to create than I
> thought it would be).

Excellent! That's a great write-up of the state of evolving technology
in the area of portable storage media, brief and thoroughly plausible.
Only one problem: the first word in the last paragraph is a typo. That
should be "It" instead of "In", I think.

Not to nitpick, or anything . . . I just want it to be perfect, since
I'll be directing others to it in the near future.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually

Trans

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:50:30AM +0900, Trans wrote:
> > Since it seems like such a slow day, I wrote a little piece on optical
> > media if anyone's interested: http://weblands.blo.... Anyway, no
> > big deal, just thought some of you might be interested, esspecially the
> > graph (which turned out to be much more difficult to create than I
> > thought it would be).
>
> Excellent! That's a great write-up of the state of evolving technology
> in the area of portable storage media, brief and thoroughly plausible.
> Only one problem: the first word in the last paragraph is a typo. That
> should be "It" instead of "In", I think.
>
> Not to nitpick, or anything . . . I just want it to be perfect, since
> I'll be directing others to it in the near future.

That sentence was a bit off in a couple of ways. But all better now.
Thanks!

T.

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:30:34AM +0900, Trans wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:50:30AM +0900, Trans wrote:
> > > Since it seems like such a slow day, I wrote a little piece on optical
> > > media if anyone's interested: http://weblands.blo.... Anyway, no
> > > big deal, just thought some of you might be interested, esspecially the
> > > graph (which turned out to be much more difficult to create than I
> > > thought it would be).
> >
> > Excellent! That's a great write-up of the state of evolving technology
> > in the area of portable storage media, brief and thoroughly plausible.
> > Only one problem: the first word in the last paragraph is a typo. That
> > should be "It" instead of "In", I think.
> >
> > Not to nitpick, or anything . . . I just want it to be perfect, since
> > I'll be directing others to it in the near future.
>
> That sentence was a bit off in a couple of ways. But all better now.
> Thanks!

Yeah, I was going to send a second email indicating the other two
problems I noticed and forgot to mention, but you beat me to it. Ahh,
the dangers of multitasking.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."

Jeff Schwab

Trans wrote:
> Since it seems like such a slow day, I wrote a little piece on optical
> media if anyone's interested: http://weblands.blo.... Anyway, no
> big deal, just thought some of you might be interested, esspecially the
> graph (which turned out to be much more difficult to create than I
> thought it would be).

Well done.

I predict, however, that MRAM will overtake flash.