[ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.5-21 released

Curt Hibbs

8/29/2006 3:33:00 PM

This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
have also been upgraded to newly released
versions, but other than that, everything else is
the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
here:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

If you use the Breakpointer package with Ruby on
Rails, then you should stay with 1.8.4 because
1.8.5 contains a change that breaks this package.

Change Log
==========

2006-08 release 21 - stable release
* Upgraded Ruby to ruby-1.8.5
* Upgraded to win32-clipboard 0.4.1
* Upgraded to win32-eventlog 0.4.2
* Upgraded to win32-process 0.5.1

17 Answers

Jon Egil Strand

Bill Kelly

From: "Curt Hibbs" <ml.chibbs@gmail.com>

> This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
> released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
> have also been upgraded to newly released
> versions, but other than that, everything else is
> the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
> here:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

Curt,

Thanks very much for this release and all your work on
the win32 installer!

By any chance, are the .lib files for the packaged dll's
available anywhere?

For example, when building a ruby extension (eventmachine),
during the extconf, I get:

checking for main() in ssleay32.lib... no

It would be great to have the .lib files corresponding to
the .dll's.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Bill

Curt Hibbs

A lot of the components of the installer are acquired as prebuilt
binaries. In the case of OpenSSL, these binaries do include the lib
files and I should have been including them. You can extract them
yourself from here:

http://jarp.does.notwork.org/win32/openssl-0.9.7b-1-m...

Curt

On 8/29/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
> From: "Curt Hibbs" <ml.chibbs@gmail.com>
> >
> > This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
> > released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
> > have also been upgraded to newly released
> > versions, but other than that, everything else is
> > the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
> > here:
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
>
> Curt,
>
> Thanks very much for this release and all your work on
> the win32 installer!
>
> By any chance, are the .lib files for the packaged dll's
> available anywhere?
>
> For example, when building a ruby extension (eventmachine),
> during the extconf, I get:
>
> checking for main() in ssleay32.lib... no
>
> It would be great to have the .lib files corresponding to
> the .dll's.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bill

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
> released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
> have also been upgraded to newly released
> versions, but other than that, everything else is
> the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
> here:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
>
> If you use the Breakpointer package with Ruby on
> Rails, then you should stay with 1.8.4 because
> 1.8.5 contains a change that breaks this package.
>

> Change Log
> ==========
>
> 2006-08 release 21 - stable release
> * Upgraded Ruby to ruby-1.8.5
> * Upgraded to win32-clipboard 0.4.1
> * Upgraded to win32-eventlog 0.4.2
> * Upgraded to win32-process 0.5.1

Speaking of which, I just installed Visual C++ Express on the gizmo that
I get paid to sit in front of. :) So now I can experience first had the
thrills, chills and spills of Microsoft Development without parting with
any cash. I think I have MinGW and MSys too; something I installed
required them. And of course I also have CygWin and Plan C, aka VMware
Server. :)

So I think I'll download One Click and see if I can build extensions,
etc. Are there some *known* not to work with VC++ Express?

Peña, Botp

fr curt:
# http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

does this include the patch for the recently discovered hash mem leak?

thanks for one-click.
kind regards -botp

Bill Kelly

From: "Curt Hibbs" <ml.chibbs@gmail.com>

> A lot of the components of the installer are acquired as prebuilt
> binaries. In the case of OpenSSL, these binaries do include the lib
> files and I should have been including them. You can extract them
> yourself from here:
>
> http://jarp.does.notwork.org/win32/openssl-0.9.7b-1-m...

Awesome,

checking for main() in ssleay32.lib... yes
checking for main() in libeay32.lib... yes

Thanks!

Bill

Austin Ziegler

On 8/29/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> So I think I'll download One Click and see if I can build extensions,
> etc. Are there some *known* not to work with VC++ Express?

Most would be bad. I'm finally getting to the point where I can write
up an email that is overdue regarding this.

I think what I'm really going to hope for is some way to *wrap* cl.exe
calls to look like gcc compiles. The real trick will be to make it so
that ./configure does something useful in an MSYS environment.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Curt Hibbs

On 8/29/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:

> Speaking of which, I just installed Visual C++ Express on the gizmo that
> I get paid to sit in front of. :) So now I can experience first had the
> thrills, chills and spills of Microsoft Development without parting with
> any cash. I think I have MinGW and MSys too; something I installed
> required them. And of course I also have CygWin and Plan C, aka VMware
> Server. :)
>
> So I think I'll download One Click and see if I can build extensions,
> etc. Are there some *known* not to work with VC++ Express?

The compiler situation on windows is currently an incompatible mess.
We're persuing possible solutions (Austin Ziegler is spearheading part
of this with Microsoft). But currently the only gauranteed safe way to
compile extensions is to use VC++ 6.

Curt

Nobuyoshi Nakada

At Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:32:36 +0900,
Curt Hibbs wrote in [ruby-talk:211324]:
> This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
> released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
> have also been upgraded to newly released
> versions, but other than that, everything else is
> the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
> here:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

Did you decide not to use [ruby-core:07922]?

--
Nobu Nakada

Curt Hibbs

On 8/30/06, nobu@ruby-lang.org <nobu@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:32:36 +0900,
> Curt Hibbs wrote in [ruby-talk:211324]:
> > This release upgrades Ruby to the recently
> > released version 1.8.5. A few Win32-Utils packages
> > have also been upgraded to newly released
> > versions, but other than that, everything else is
> > the same as the 1.8.4 release. You can download it
> > here:
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
>
> Did you decide not to use [ruby-core:07922]?
>
> --
> Nobu Nakada

I'm definitely going to use it. I have it saved in a bug report:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4962&group_id=167&am...

This release was just a real quick update (no bug fixes or added features).

Curt