Re: [ANN] How to spy on the Japanese Rubists

William Crawford

8/29/2006 2:49:00 PM

Dr Nic wrote:
> "Their Ruby code is surrounded by a shrouded of Japanese symbols. You
> know there is gold in there, but its left to the reader to interpret
> the purpose of the article. Happy Japanese man? Cranky Japanese man?
>
> "The creator of Ruby is Japanese, the Rubist magazine is in Japanese,
> and a great many users of Ruby are Japanese, yet I can't understand a
> word they are saying.
>
> "Wonder no longer..."
>
> http://drnicwilliams.com/2006/08/29/ann-spy-on-the-japanes...
>
> Cheers
> Nic

From the translation:

> * Q. [ru] [bi] [ma], [tsu] [te] â??green onion [ma]!â?It is stealing?
> * A. it is different. Perhaps. Of as for the people who thought the â??[ru] [bi] [ma]â? â??the green onion [ma]!â?You did not know, until (or, it is said, you did not become aware).

Yeah, that works great. Thanks for sharing!

I'm just kidding. Thanks for that link. I already had a firefox
plugin, but the bookmarklet is nice for whole pages.

Dr Nic

William Crawford wrote:

> I'm just kidding. Thanks for that link. I already had a firefox
> plugin, but the bookmarklet is nice for whole pages.

What is the FF extension?

William Crawford

Dr Nic wrote:
> William Crawford wrote:
>
>> I'm just kidding. Thanks for that link. I already had a firefox
>> plugin, but the bookmarklet is nice for whole pages.
>
> What is the FF extension?

I use gTranslate. https://addons.mozilla.org/fi...

Tom Jordan

I like FoxLingo
https://addons.mozilla.org/fir...
http://www.concisefreeware.com/fo...

and rikaichan
https://addons.mozilla.org/fir...
http://www.polarcloud.com/...

-- Tom.

On 8/29/06, William Crawford <wccrawford@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dr Nic wrote:
> > William Crawford wrote:
> >
> >> I'm just kidding. Thanks for that link. I already had a firefox
> >> plugin, but the bookmarklet is nice for whole pages.
> >
> > What is the FF extension?
>
> I use gTranslate. https://addons.mozilla.org/fi...

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all
possible objections must first be
overcome." - Samuel Johnson

"Luck is what happens when
preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca

Max Muermann

Translating the Rubist Magazine FAQ came up with the following gem:

Q. there is no article of the ~~ in the [ru] [bi] [ma] why?
Motivation bean jam?

I too get Motivation bean jam sometimes... it's not something I would
talk about in mixed company, though.

;)

Max

Dr Nic

Max Muermann wrote:
> Translating the Rubist Magazine FAQ came up with the following gem:
>
> Q. there is no article of the ~~ in the [ru] [bi] [ma] why?
> Motivation bean jam?
>
> I too get Motivation bean jam sometimes... it's not something I would
> talk about in mixed company, though.

Different cultures there Max. They love the bean jam. Talk about it
constantly. In southern Osaka there is a joke that starts, "3 bean jam
factory workers walk into a bar...".

Paul Robinson

On 29 Aug 2006, at 23:50, Max Muermann wrote:

> Translating the Rubist Magazine FAQ came up with the following gem:
>
> Q. there is no article of the ~~ in the [ru] [bi] [ma] why?
> Motivation bean jam?
>
> I too get Motivation bean jam sometimes... it's not something I would
> talk about in mixed company, though.

That's such a great name for a Ruby blog...

In fact, we could turn 'Engrish' back on itself and do thousands of
new t-shirts off this tool. I'd wear a t-shirt depicting Motivation
bean jam. Maybe.

Why is machine translation so bad anyway? It's only changing one set
of vocabulary and grammar for an equivalent set - it would seem that
the biggest problem with most tools out there is ridiculously small
foreign language dictionaries and tiny grammar rule sets. Very odd,
and probably quite easy to fix.

Dr Nic

Paul Robinson wrote:
> Why is machine translation so bad anyway? It's only changing one set
> of vocabulary and grammar for an equivalent set - it would seem that
> the biggest problem with most tools out there is ridiculously small
> foreign language dictionaries and tiny grammar rule sets. Very odd,
> and probably quite easy to fix.

I think language translation is up there with AI in terms of complexity.
Even if a machine can translate 80% (made up number) of grammar
rulesets, the results are still going to give you Bean Jam-like results,
everytime. Why? We're picky about this stuff - we'll stop incorrect
grammar and terminology and laugh at it and wonder "Why is machine
translation so hard?" :)

Trivial trivia: India - home of 1.2b people - has 1100 different spoken
dialects.

William Crawford

Paul Robinson wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2006, at 23:50, Max Muermann wrote:
>
>> Translating the Rubist Magazine FAQ came up with the following gem:
>>
>> Q. there is no article of the ~~ in the [ru] [bi] [ma] why?
>> Motivation bean jam?
>>
>> I too get Motivation bean jam sometimes... it's not something I would
>> talk about in mixed company, though.
>
> That's such a great name for a Ruby blog...
>
> In fact, we could turn 'Engrish' back on itself and do thousands of
> new t-shirts off this tool. I'd wear a t-shirt depicting Motivation
> bean jam. Maybe.
>
> Why is machine translation so bad anyway? It's only changing one set
> of vocabulary and grammar for an equivalent set - it would seem that
> the biggest problem with most tools out there is ridiculously small
> foreign language dictionaries and tiny grammar rule sets. Very odd,
> and probably quite easy to fix.

Their language is based more upon sounds than most. Each character
represents a sound, and then sounds together create a word. Our letters
do have sounds, but the complete sound is only made with a combination
of letters. 'rubima' (Ruby Magazine) can only be written 1 way in their
language, and apparently also means 'motivation bean jam'. Any time
they shorten something like that, it's almost assured to also mean
something else. The translator has no way of knowing this was a short
form of other words, and does its best to translate.

Dr Nic

> Their language is based more upon sounds than most. Each character
> represents a sound, and then sounds together create a word. Our letters
> do have sounds, but the complete sound is only made with a combination
> of letters. 'rubima' (Ruby Magazine) can only be written 1 way in their
> language, and apparently also means 'motivation bean jam'. Any time
> they shorten something like that, it's almost assured to also mean
> something else. The translator has no way of knowing this was a short
> form of other words, and does its best to translate.

Back to technology - now I need a RSS feed proxy that auto-translates
RSS feeds before my feedreader gets them. Netvibes won't be happy if I
send it off to Google for Translating :)

The Google Translator returns a split frame panel. The content frame's
url is:
/translate_p?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja&u=TARGETURL

And that redirects to /translate_c?...

(Note that the en has been removed from the langpair).

But theoretically, if we pass a RSS feed to
/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja&u=FEED.XML

it should autotranslate each time it loads.

I passed it: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hana...
(a random feed I found)

Unfortunately, Google Translate doesn't seem to work on RSS feeds. Pity.

Dr Nic

Dr Nic wrote:
> Unfortunately, Google Translate doesn't seem to work on RSS feeds. Pity.

I've summarised this all here:
http://drnicwilliams.com/2006/08/30/translation-of-rss-feeds-...

Looks like it ignores the feed as bad input and merely redirects you
back to the feed.

Anyone know anyone at Google?