Re: Ruby == how does it works?

Jeremy Tregunna

8/26/2006 8:58:00 AM

On 06-08-26, at 03:33, Surendra Singhi wrote:

> Hi,
> Does the Ruby '==' operator compares the 'object_ids' of the
> element before
> descending into comparing the elements?

Depends on how the object receiving it implements it.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna@blurgle.ca

12 Answers

Patrick Hurley

On 8/26/06, Jeremy Tregunna <jtregunna@blurgle.ca> wrote:
> On 06-08-26, at 03:33, Surendra Singhi wrote:
> > Does the Ruby '==' operator compares the 'object_ids' of the
> > element before
>
> Depends on how the object receiving it implements it.

More exactly == is a method ->

class Foo
def==(other)
self.class == other.class

f = Foo.new
g = Foo.new

f == 7 => false
f == f => true
f == g => true

pth

Patrick Hurley

On 8/26/06, Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> wrote:
> >> Does the Ruby '==' operator compares the 'object_ids' of the
> >> element before
> >> descending into comparing the elements?
> >
> > Depends on how the object receiving it implements it.
> >
> And how does hashes, and arrays implement it?

ri Hash#==
---------------------------------------------------------------- Hash#==
hsh == other_hash => true or false
Equality---Two hashes are equal if they each contain the same
number of keys and if each key-value pair is equal to (according to
+Object#==+) the corresponding elements in the other hash.

h1 = { "a" => 1, "c" => 2 }
h2 = { 7 => 35, "c" => 2, "a" => 1 }
h3 = { "a" => 1, "c" => 2, 7 => 35 }
h4 = { "a" => 1, "d" => 2, "f" => 35 }
h1 == h2 #=> false
h2 == h3 #=> true
h3 == h4 #=> false

ri Arrray#==
--------------------------------------------------------------- Array#==
array == other_array -> bool
Equality---Two arrays are equal if they contain the same number of
elements and if each element is equal to (according to Object.==)
the corresponding element in the other array.

[ "a", "c" ] == [ "a", "c", 7 ] #=> false
[ "a", "c", 7 ] == [ "a", "c", 7 ] #=> true
[ "a", "c", 7 ] == [ "a", "d", "f" ] #=> false

Pierre Paquin

"M forever" <ms1000@gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 26, 10:36 am, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> M forever wrote:

> > > But we knew already that you are the only one who knows what HIP
> > > is, and that - in your opinion - people like Abbado, Br?ggen,
> > > Immerseel, Herreweghe don't know anything about it.
>
> > Wrong.
>
> Nope.
>

> > I think there are some very good performances out there which
> > are actual serious attempts at HIP. I have even mentioned some in this
> > thread. And I have mentioned more in many other threads about HIP. For
> > instance, the whole discussion about natural horn playing you also
> > commented on (naturally...).
>
> Nope. I did not comment on that. I commented about your mentioning my
> name,
> while I was not participating in that discussion.
> But of course you went out of you mind.
>

> > And many more in other discussions which
> > you also followed.
>
> > You even replied to that post about which Mozart HIP performances I
> > think are good in this thread right here. Of course you did, because
> > you have to.
>
> Nope.
> I don't have to.
>

> > But that means that you have read it.
>
> > So your statement that I think I am "the only one who knows HIP" is a
> > blatant lie.
>
> It isn't.
> You still know it all better than Abbado, Br?ggen, Immerseel etcetera.
>

> > Now you act as if you had never seen that. What the fuck is wrong with
> > you? Are you really mentally ill, as some others have suggested? DO
> > you have to comment and disagree compulsively
>
> Ansimaniac clich?s.

"Nope, nope, nope, nope" is all you have to reply now that I have
caught you red-handed lying. Of course you commented on my post in
which I praised some HIP performances, and you have commented on other
contributions of mine in which I have discussed and praised HIP
performances. That your "responses" in turn had nothing to do with the
subjects under discussion doesn't change anything about that. Your
means you were aware of my posts.

Which means that what you said about me dismissing all HIP is a simple
lie, nothing else.

Why deal anymore with these provocateurs. Now that Powell is away for the
time being and longer hopefully, Gerard thinks that, by popular demand, he
must pick up the gauntlet.

M forever

On Jun 3, 4:39 pm, "Pierre Paquin" <p.paq...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "M forever" <ms1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 26, 10:36 am, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > M forever wrote:

> > > Wrong.
>
> > Nope.
>
> > > I think there are some very good performances out there which
> > > are actual serious attempts at HIP. I have even mentioned some in this
> > > thread. And I have mentioned more in many other threads about HIP. For
> > > instance, the whole discussion about natural horn playing you also
> > > commented on (naturally...).
>
> > Nope. I did not comment on that. I commented about your mentioning my
> > name,
> > while I was not participating in that discussion.
> > But of course you went out of you mind.
>
> > > And many more in other discussions which
> > > you also followed.
>
> > > You even replied to that post about which Mozart HIP performances I
> > > think are good in this thread right here. Of course you did, because
> > > you have to.
>
> > Nope.
> > I don't have to.
>
> > > But that means that you have read it.
>
> > > So your statement that I think I am "the only one who knows HIP" is a
> > > blatant lie.
>
> > It isn't.
> > You still know it all better than Abbado, Brüggen, Immerseel etcetera.
>
> > > Now you act as if you had never seen that. What the fuck is wrong with
> > > you? Are you really mentally ill, as some others have suggested? DO
> > > you have to comment and disagree compulsively
>
> > Ansimaniac clichés.
>
> "Nope, nope, nope, nope" is all you have to reply now that I have
> caught you red-handed lying. Of course you commented on my post in
> which I praised some HIP performances, and you have commented on other
> contributions of mine in which I have discussed and praised HIP
> performances. That your "responses" in turn had nothing to do with the
> subjects under discussion doesn't change anything about that. Your
> means you were aware of my posts.
>
> Which means that what you said about me dismissing all HIP is a simple
> lie, nothing else.
>
> Why deal anymore with these provocateurs.  Now that Powell is away for the
> time being and longer hopefully, Gerard thinks that, by popular demand, he
> must pick up the gauntlet.

Unfortunately, you are wrong about Powell - he just struck again. What
is it with that psychopath that he has to post the same crap in the
same way over and over again, just to get the same kind of rejection,
just to post the same BS about his "unimpeachable" CV and all that? I
can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself because I do
like to challenge accepted notions and smug, dumb people (and their
accepted notions), but Powell and Gerard aren't even real
"provocateurs". They are first and foremost of all boring.
But yes, you are definitely right about Gerard - he seems to have been
on a total roll recently while still contributing nothing of real
substance to the discussions, just obsessively commenting on and
disagreeing with everything, even when he himself totally contradicts
while doing so - as in this thread.

William Sommerwerck

> I can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself
> because I do like to challenge accepted notions and smug,
> dumb people (and their accepted notions)...

This "smug, dumb" person might ask... Do you really think your behavior
never looks pathological?

Prepare yourselves for a loud, irrational spew, rather than anything
introspective or thoughtful.

M forever

On Jun 3, 9:01 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> "M forever" <ms1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself
> > because I do like to challenge accepted notions and smug,
> > dumb people (and their accepted notions)...
>
> This "smug, dumb" person might ask... Do you really think your behavior
> never looks pathological?
>
> Prepare yourselves for a loud, irrational spew, rather than anything
> introspective or thoughtful.

That's what in football ("soccer") is called an own goal, and a pretty
bad one on top of that, considering that *you* wrote here, not long
ago, in response to me pointing out that you don't have the basis to
make the dramatic, sweeping, professoral statements about the quality
of music and music making that you obviously think you have (hint: you
don't even know how to read music) - and I quote, without altering
anything you wrote:

"If I could get away with smashing your mouth so you could never speak
again,
I would.
If I could get away with crushing your hands so you couldn't operate a
keyboard, I would.
If I could get away with blinding you so you couldn'l use an eye-
motion
sensor to operate your computer, I would."

I don't think I have ever read a louder, more irrational "spew" on the
internet. From anyone. In any situation.

And that came *from you*.

So by saying what you said in your previous post, you have once again
shown that you don't have the slightest bit of self-awareness and self-
criticism.
Exactly what also comes through in your pompous and hollow
pontificating about music - and other subjects you only have a very
superficial understanding of that you have, however, similarly
canonized into a set-in-stone repertoire of prejudices and biases that
makes it easier for you to pretend to understand far more than you -
maybe even to yourself as well as to others.

I have never threatened you in such a way, nor have I fantasized about
harming you in such drastic ways, so I think I am in a much better
position to ask you: do you really think your behavior never looks
pathological?"

Hint: the above is very obvious a patholigical reaction by a very
damaged person (hint: I am talking about *you*).

Especially as a reaction to something as harmless as me pointing out
that you have no musical education.

Gerard

M forever wrote:
> On Jun 3, 4:39 pm, "Pierre Paquin" <p.paq...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > "M forever" <ms1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On May 26, 10:36 am, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/Symphonyshare/browse_thread/......

> > > Nope.

> > > Nope. I did not comment on that. I commented about your
> > > mentioning my name,
> > > while I was not participating in that discussion.
> > > But of course you went out of you mind.

> > > Nope.
> > > I don't have to.

> > > It isn't.
> > > You still know it all better than Abbado, Br?ggen, Immerseel
> > > etcetera.

> > > Ansimaniac clich?s.
> >
> > "Nope, nope, nope, nope" is all you have to reply now that I have
> > caught you red-handed lying. Of course you commented on my post in
> > which I praised some HIP performances, and you have commented on
> > other contributions of mine in which I have discussed and praised
> > HIP performances. That your "responses" in turn had nothing to do
> > with the subjects under discussion doesn't change anything about
> > that. Your responses never really have anything to do with the
> > subject. But it
> > means you were aware of my posts.
> >
> > Which means that what you said about me dismissing all HIP is a
> > simple lie, nothing else.
> >
> > Why deal anymore with these provocateurs. Now that Powell is away
> > for the time being and longer hopefully, Gerard thinks that, by
> > popular demand, he must pick up the gauntlet.
>
> Unfortunately, you are wrong about Powell - he just struck again. What
> is it with that psychopath that he has to post the same crap in the
> same way over and over again,

This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".

> just to get the same kind of rejection,
> just to post the same BS about his "unimpeachable" CV and all that? I
> can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself because I do
> like to challenge accepted notions and smug, dumb people (and their
> accepted notions), but Powell and Gerard aren't even real
> "provocateurs". They are first and foremost of all boring.

This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".

> But yes, you are definitely right about Gerard - he seems to have been
> on a total roll recently while still contributing nothing of real
> substance to the discussions, just obsessively commenting on and
> disagreeing with everything, even when he himself totally contradicts
> while doing so - as in this thread.

BS forever.

M forever

On Jun 4, 3:32 am, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> M forever wrote:
> > On Jun 3, 4:39 pm, "Pierre Paquin" <p.paq...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > > "M forever" <ms1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> http://groups.google.com/group/Symphonyshare/browse_thread/......

> > > "Nope, nope, nope, nope" is all you have to reply now that I have
> > > caught you red-handed lying. Of course you commented on my post in
> > > which I praised some HIP performances, and you have commented on
> > > other contributions of mine in which I have discussed and praised
> > > HIP performances. That your "responses" in turn had nothing to do
> > > with the subjects under discussion doesn't change anything about
> > > that. Your responses never really have anything to do with the
> > > subject. But it
> > > means you were aware of my posts.
>
> > > Which means that what you said about me dismissing all HIP is a
> > > simple lie, nothing else.
>
> > > Why deal anymore with these provocateurs. Now that Powell is away
> > > for the time being and longer hopefully, Gerard thinks that, by
> > > popular demand, he must pick up the gauntlet.
>
> > Unfortunately, you are wrong about Powell - he just struck again. What
> > is it with that psychopath that he has to post the same crap in the
> > same way over and over again,
>
> This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".
>

> > just to get the same kind of rejection,
> > just to post the same BS about his "unimpeachable" CV and all that? I
> > can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself because I do
> > like to challenge accepted notions and smug, dumb people (and their
> > accepted notions), but Powell and Gerard aren't even real
> > "provocateurs". They are first and foremost of all boring.
>
> This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".
>

> > But yes, you are definitely right about Gerard - he seems to have been
> > on a total roll recently while still contributing nothing of real
> > substance to the discussions, just obsessively commenting on and
> > disagreeing with everything, even when he himself totally contradicts
> > while doing so - as in this thread.
>
> BS forever.

ODD, OCD, QED.

Gerard

M forever wrote:
> On Jun 4, 3:32 am, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > M forever wrote:

> > http://groups.google.com/group/Symphonyshare/browse_thread/......

> > > Unfortunately, you are wrong about Powell - he just struck again.
> > > What is it with that psychopath that he has to post the same crap
> > > in the same way over and over again,
> >
> > This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".
> >

> > > just to get the same kind of rejection,
> > > just to post the same BS about his "unimpeachable" CV and all
> > > that? I can proudly say that I am a kind of "provocateur" myself
> > > because I do like to challenge accepted notions and smug, dumb
> > > people (and their accepted notions), but Powell and Gerard aren't
> > > even real "provocateurs". They are first and foremost of all
> > > boring.
> >
> > This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".
> >

> > > But yes, you are definitely right about Gerard - he seems to have
> > > been on a total roll recently while still contributing nothing of
> > > real substance to the discussions, just obsessively commenting on
> > > and disagreeing with everything, even when he himself totally
> > > contradicts while doing so - as in this thread.
> >
> > BS forever.
>
> ODD, OCD, QED.

I know, you're missing Ansimaniac desperately.

M forever

On Jun 4, 5:26 pm, "Gerard" <ghendriks_no_spam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> M forever wrote:

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/Symphonyshare/browse_thread/.......

> > > This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".

> > > This applies perfectly to your own crap and crap "personality".

> > > BS forever.
>
> > ODD, OCD, QED.
>
> I know, you're missing Ansimaniac desperately.

Not at all. You out-troll him by far. He really is a nutcase while you
are clearly a disturbed and only very moderately intelligent
individual, but you seem to know what you are saying. So you are a
real troll.