Re: [ANN] Piston 1.0.1 - Remote Repository Copying

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

8/25/2006 4:40:00 PM

On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Francois Beausoleil wrote:

> http://piston.ruby...
>
> From the README:
>
> Piston is a utility that enables merge tracking of remote
> repositories. This is similar to svn:externals, except you have a
> local copy of the files, which you can modify at will. As long as the
> changes are mergeable, you should have no problems.
>
> Piston has a similar purpose than svnmerge.py which you can find in
> the contrib/client-side folder of the main Subversion. The main
> difference is that Piston is designed to work with remote
> repositories. You should also investigate if SVK would be a better fit
> for you.
>
> From Wikipedia's Piston:
>
> In general, a piston is a sliding plug that fits closely inside
> the bore of a cylinder.
>
> Its purpose is either to change the volume enclosed by the
> cylinder, or to exert a force on a fluid inside the cylinder.
>
> For Piston, we retain the second meaning, to exert a force on a fluid
> inside the cylinder. In our case, the fluid is the code copied from
> the remote repository.
>
> = Installation
>
> $ gem install piston
>
> Piston Home Page: http://piston.ruby...
>
> Have a nice day !
> --
> François Beausoleil
> http://blog.te...

Very cool Francois!

Thanks-
-Ezra

2 Answers

Floyd Wright

From the Ruby-Talk list. I didn't look into this too closely, but it
may be useful for a scenario where we use a set of flexible 'power-tool'
plugins in every project.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Francois Beausoleil wrote:
>
>> http://piston.ruby...
>>
>> From the README:
>>
>> Piston is a utility that enables merge tracking of remote
>> repositories. This is similar to svn:externals, except you have a
>> local copy of the files, which you can modify at will. As long as the
>> changes are mergeable, you should have no problems.
>>
>> Piston has a similar purpose than svnmerge.py which you can find in
>> the contrib/client-side folder of the main Subversion. The main
>> difference is that Piston is designed to work with remote
>> repositories. You should also investigate if SVK would be a better fit
>> for you.
>>
>> From Wikipedia's Piston:
>>
>> In general, a piston is a sliding plug that fits closely inside
>> the bore of a cylinder.
>>
>> Its purpose is either to change the volume enclosed by the
>> cylinder, or to exert a force on a fluid inside the cylinder.
>>
>> For Piston, we retain the second meaning, to exert a force on a fluid
>> inside the cylinder. In our case, the fluid is the code copied from
>> the remote repository.
>>
>> = Installation
>>
>> $ gem install piston
>>
>> Piston Home Page: http://piston.ruby...
>>
>> Have a nice day !
>> --
>> François Beausoleil
>> http://blog.te...
>

> Very cool Francois!
>
> Thanks-
> -Ezra

Floyd Wright

How embarrassing--normally I am capable of using email. Please disregard.