Ruby 1.8.5 released

Yukihiro Matsumoto

8/25/2006 8:46:00 AM

Hello,

We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.
This is a bug fix release. There should be no big
difference from 1.8.4. We hope 1.8.5 is more stable and
reliable than its preceding versions.

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1....
3fbb02294a8ca33d4684055adba5ed6f

Happy Hacking!

matz.

13 Answers

Mauricio Fernández

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:45:49PM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.
> This is a bug fix release. There should be no big
> difference from 1.8.4. We hope 1.8.5 is more stable and
> reliable than its preceding versions.

Good news!

If anybody is interested, I've written a change summary:

http://eige.../hiki.rb?ruby+1.8.5...

--
Mauricio Fernandez - http://eige... - singular Ruby

mortench

Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
(which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :-)

Cheers,
Morten

Mauricio Fernandez wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:45:49PM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.
> > This is a bug fix release. There should be no big
> > difference from 1.8.4. We hope 1.8.5 is more stable and
> > reliable than its preceding versions.

Dave Burt

mortench wrote:
> Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
> (which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
> compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :-)

I don't think that version of Microsoft's programming suite is due for
another 18000 years...

Cheers,
Dave

Trans

Mauricio Fernandez wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:45:49PM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.
> > This is a bug fix release. There should be no big
> > difference from 1.8.4. We hope 1.8.5 is more stable and
> > reliable than its preceding versions.
>
> Good news!
>
> If anybody is interested, I've written a change summary:
>
> http://eige.../hiki.rb?ruby+1.8.5...
>
> --
> Mauricio Fernandez - http://eige... - singular Ruby

#pretty_inspect, How's that different from #pp and why not just #pi?

T.

Ara.T.Howard

Austin Ziegler

On 8/25/06, mortench <mortench@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
> (which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
> compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :-)

Not until certain things have been worked out. ;)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Antonio Cangiano

matz wrote:
> We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.[...]

Thank you matz. :-)

I've compiled it for Win32, if any of you are interested:
http://antonioca.../files/ruby_1.8.5_2006...

Thanks,
Antonio

--
http://antonioca...
Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming

ryan.raaum@gmail.com

Antonio Cangiano wrote:
> matz wrote:
> > We have just released the latest stable version of Ruby.[...]
>
> Thank you matz. :-)
>
> I've compiled it for Win32, if any of you are interested:
> http://antonioca.../files/ruby_1.8.5_2006...

Which compiler toolset? mingw? vc6? something else?

Ryan Raaum wrote:
> Which compiler toolset? mingw? vc6? something else?

Hi Ryan,

I've used VC 7.1 (Visual C++ Toolkit 2003).

HTH
Antonio
--
http://antonioca...
Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming

Stephen Kellett

>On 8/25/06, mortench <mortench@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great! I can't wait for the Windows Installer version of Ruby 1.8.5
>> (which will hopefully for a change be compiled with a recent MS
>> compiler such as MSVC++ 20005) :-)

I hope not. Visual Studio 8.0 has introduced all sorts of stupidities to
the C/C++ world which should have stayed confined to the .NET world.

Stupidities like manifests and the inability to do
LoadLibrary("MSVCR80.DLL") for similar reasons.

I often build trivial apps for testing purposes and sometimes deploy
them to others computers. Not a problem with VC 6.0,7.0,7.1. Can't do it
with 8.0 - complains about missing manifests and all manner of things.
Can't find any documentation about it. I guess I should buy a $600
Windows Installer based installer so that I can deploy my trivial app
internally in the company (*). Simpler to stick with VC 6.0 and just
copy the two files required across the network.

Keep it simple, use VC 6.0, 7.0 or 7.1.

Stephen

(*) I did do this 5 years ago only to find that on most Windows NT 4.0
computers (in the UK at least) the MSI installer would fail and no patch
from MS would fix it. Solution: Use a non "Windows Installer" installer.
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...