How can't i modify the to_s method in Integer Class?

Grab Mail

8/22/2006 11:15:00 PM

class Integer

def to_s
'9'

puts 5.to_s

I'm still getting 5.

Kent Sibilev

You shoud use Fixnum class instead of Integer.

On 8/22/06, Grab Mail <grabmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> class Integer
>
> def to_s
> '9'

> puts 5.to_s
>
> I'm still getting 5.

Kent
---
http://www.dat...

Joel VanderWerf

Grab Mail wrote:
> class Integer
>
> def to_s
> '9'

> puts 5.to_s
>
> I'm still getting 5.

#to_s is defined in Fixnum, a subclass of Integer. Try this:

class Fixnum
def to_s
'9'

puts 5.to_s

David Vallner

Grab Mail wrote:
> class Integer
>
> def to_s
> '9'

> puts 5.to_s
>
> I'm still getting 5.

There's also the gotcha of redefining core methods - other core methods
just might call directly their implementations in C without going
through the interpreter.

Try not to rely on core method redefining unless you know you'll always
be calling the redefined methods directly.

David Vallner

Pelican

"HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "GM Smerkoff" <gmsmerkoff@carbon.tax.is.ineffective> wrote in message
>>> Listen to this:
>>>
>>> "The department supports 9200 personnel at 40 offices offshore, and 1200
>>> personnel in over 60 locations overseas. The department manages 30,000
>>> pieces of equipment, including:
>>> 10,500 desktop PCs and monitors
>>> 1750 laptops
>>> 1100 printers
>>> 430 scanners and faxes
>>> 350 multifunction devices (MFDs) ? Fuji Xerox
>>> 360 virtual Windows servers (180 physical servers)".
>>>
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/immigration-seeks-mainframe-end-user-support-1...
>>>
>>> So if 10,000 Dimmi staff accept 100,000 migrants annually, that's 10
>>> migrants per staff member. If staff members work 200 days per annum
>>> (assuming all sickies taken), then it takes *twenty* person-days to
>>> process *one* migrant.
>>>
>>> $100k per staff member = a billion dollars per annum.
>>>
>>> Do we need it
>
> Okay, start again.
> 170.000 migrants out of 1,5 million application.
> plus.student visas,
> plus tourist visas,
> plus transit visas
> plus citizens by descent.
> if they have to write 10 letters to applicants for additional information
> or to authorities to check up on their statements or to request medicals
> or qualification checks or a lot of other issues that comes to 15 million
> letters plus about 200.000 personal interviews,
> Why do you think it can take up to 14 months for some visas to be
> processed?

The whole point of DIAC processing, in principle, is to load the front end
of applications heavily with paper requirements which are rarely verified,
so that the drones who do the processing don't have to think about what they
are really doing at all. They just process the paper. Those letters are
typically pro forma to applicants for information not provided, not provided
in the way expected by the drone handling the case, or just more paper
required as a later stage. In reality, the drones do bugger-all which is
meaningful, do it badly, and the applicants adversely affected get very
pissed off.

The government gets away with it because very few applicants are in a
position to exercise any form of pressure, and the community couldn't care
less. The situation in other high volume areas, like Centrelink and the
ATO, is dramatically different.

HD

"Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message

> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "GM Smerkoff" <gmsmerkoff@carbon.tax.is.ineffective> wrote in message

>> Okay, start again.
>> 170.000 migrants out of 1,5 million application.
>> plus.student visas,
>> plus tourist visas,
>> plus transit visas
>> plus citizens by descent.
>> if they have to write 10 letters to applicants for additional information
>> or to authorities to check up on their statements or to request medicals
>> or qualification checks or a lot of other issues that comes to 15 million
>> letters plus about 200.000 personal interviews,
>> Why do you think it can take up to 14 months for some visas to be
>> processed?
>
> The whole point of DIAC processing, in principle, is to load the front end
> of applications heavily with paper requirements which are rarely verified,
> so that the drones who do the processing don't have to think about what
> they are really doing at all. They just process the paper. Those letters
> are typically pro forma to applicants for information not provided, not
> provided in the way expected by the drone handling the case, or just more
> paper required as a later stage. In reality, the drones do bugger-all
> which is meaningful, do it badly, and the applicants adversely affected
> get very pissed off.

Bullshit.
I have spoken to many different officials overseas who got inquiry letters
from the Embassy and follow up letters if they do not answer the first one
with warnings that the Embassy will make official complaints to their
government if they fail to do their job.

> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message
>>

>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message

>>> Okay, start again.
>>> 170.000 migrants out of 1,5 million application.
>>> plus.student visas,
>>> plus tourist visas,
>>> plus transit visas
>>> plus citizens by descent.
>>> if they have to write 10 letters to applicants for additional
>>> information or to authorities to check up on their statements or to
>>> request medicals or qualification checks or a lot of other issues that
>>> comes to 15 million letters plus about 200.000 personal interviews,
>>> Why do you think it can take up to 14 months for some visas to be
>>> processed?
>>
>> The whole point of DIAC processing, in principle, is to load the front
>> end of applications heavily with paper requirements which are rarely
>> verified, so that the drones who do the processing don't have to think
>> about what they are really doing at all. They just process the paper.
>> Those letters are typically pro forma to applicants for information not
>> provided, not provided in the way expected by the drone handling the
>> case, or just more paper required as a later stage. In reality, the
>> drones do bugger-all which is meaningful, do it badly, and the applicants
>> adversely affected get very pissed off.
>
> Bullshit.
> I have spoken to many different officials overseas who got inquiry letters
> from the Embassy and follow up letters if they do not answer the first one
> with warnings that the Embassy will make official complaints to their
> government if they fail to do their job.

You are either lying, or are exceptionally naive. DIAC processing isn't
concerned with DIAC doing the work of gathering paper. It requires the
applicant to do the work of gathering and providing the paper. But, to be
clear, just what sort of information was DIAC collecting from those overseas
officials about what sort of applicants, that it was the of those overseas
officials to provide to DIAC?

> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message

>>> The whole point of DIAC processing, in principle, is to load the front
>>> end of applications heavily with paper requirements which are rarely
>>> verified, so that the drones who do the processing don't have to think
>>> about what they are really doing at all. They just process the paper.
>>> Those letters are typically pro forma to applicants for information not
>>> provided, not provided in the way expected by the drone handling the
>>> case, or just more paper required as a later stage. In reality, the
>>> drones do bugger-all which is meaningful, do it badly, and the
>>> applicants adversely affected get very pissed off.
>>
>> Bullshit.
>> I have spoken to many different officials overseas who got inquiry
>> letters from the Embassy and follow up letters if they do not answer the
>> first one with warnings that the Embassy will make official complaints to
>> their government if they fail to do their job.
>
> You are either lying, or are exceptionally naive. DIAC processing isn't
> concerned with DIAC doing the work of gathering paper. It requires the
> applicant to do the work of gathering and providing the paper. But, to be
> clear, just what sort of information was DIAC collecting from those
> overseas officials about what sort of applicants, that it was the of those
> overseas officials to provide to DIAC?

I was mostly helping people with family reunion in countries where you can
get forged documents a dime a Dozen. They wrote to Churches, to Schools, to
Registrars at municipal halls, to former employers, to local police and
others.I was dealing with Australian Embassies, not immigration in
Australia.

> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message
>>

>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message

>>> Bullshit.
>>> I have spoken to many different officials overseas who got inquiry
>>> letters from the Embassy and follow up letters if they do not answer the
>>> first one with warnings that the Embassy will make official complaints
>>> to their government if they fail to do their job.
>>
>> You are either lying, or are exceptionally naive. DIAC processing isn't
>> concerned with DIAC doing the work of gathering paper. It requires the
>> applicant to do the work of gathering and providing the paper. But, to
>> be clear, just what sort of information was DIAC collecting from those
>> overseas officials about what sort of applicants, that it was the of
>> those overseas officials to provide to DIAC?
>
> I was mostly helping people with family reunion in countries where you can
> get forged documents a dime a Dozen. They wrote to Churches, to Schools,
> to Registrars at municipal halls, to former employers, to local police and
> others.I was dealing with Australian Embassies, not immigration in
> Australia.

You may have done that, a long time ago. If you did it today, you would
find that you would get bugger-all help from Australian embassies in dealing
with local officials. You, and the people you were trying to help, would be
on your own.

In reality, DIAC wants documents long before people get a visa. So far as
family reunion is concerned, the people seeking to come here, and their
families here, will get zero help from Australian embassies in getting the
documentation.

> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message

>>> You are either lying, or are exceptionally naive. DIAC processing isn't
>>> concerned with DIAC doing the work of gathering paper. It requires the
>>> applicant to do the work of gathering and providing the paper. But, to
>>> be clear, just what sort of information was DIAC collecting from those
>>> overseas officials about what sort of applicants, that it was the of
>>> those overseas officials to provide to DIAC?
>>
>> I was mostly helping people with family reunion in countries where you
>> can get forged documents a dime a Dozen. They wrote to Churches, to
>> Schools, to Registrars at municipal halls, to former employers, to local
>> police and others.I was dealing with Australian Embassies, not
>> immigration in Australia.
>
> You may have done that, a long time ago. If you did it today, you would
> find that you would get bugger-all help from Australian embassies in
> dealing with local officials. You, and the people you were trying to
> help, would be on your own.
>
> In reality, DIAC wants documents long before people get a visa. So far as
> family reunion is concerned, the people seeking to come here, and their
> families here, will get zero help from Australian embassies in getting the
> documentation.

Of course not. With the knowlege of local laws overseas I could assist
applicants. It is not the job of Embassies to do that.

You got it upside down. (I think)
Australian officials at Embassies are the ones seeking assistance from
officials overseas to certify the authenticity of documents and/ or
statements of applicants.

> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message
>>

>> "HD" <herpem@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pelican" <water-birds@sea.somewhere.org.ir> wrote in message

>>> I was mostly helping people with family reunion in countries where you
>>> can get forged documents a dime a Dozen. They wrote to Churches, to
>>> Schools, to Registrars at municipal halls, to former employers, to local
>>> police and others.I was dealing with Australian Embassies, not
>>> immigration in Australia.
>>
>> You may have done that, a long time ago. If you did it today, you would
>> find that you would get bugger-all help from Australian embassies in
>> dealing with local officials. You, and the people you were trying to
>> help, would be on your own.
>>
>> In reality, DIAC wants documents long before people get a visa. So far
>> as family reunion is concerned, the people seeking to come here, and
>> their families here, will get zero help from Australian embassies in
>> getting the documentation.
>
> Of course not. With the knowlege of local laws overseas I could assist
> applicants. It is not the job of Embassies to do that.
>

> You got it upside down. (I think)
> Australian officials at Embassies are the ones seeking assistance from
> officials overseas to certify the authenticity of documents and/ or
> statements of applicants.

You mean DIAC drones located in Australian embassies. Who have the same
status as DIAC drones located in Australia. They get no better treatment
than any other private individual in other countries. It's fundamentally a
private matter between the applicant and DIAC, and nothing to do with
embassies, diplomacy and suchlike.