Re: Ruby on Windows questions

Berger, Daniel

8/22/2006 7:14:00 PM

Either use sys-cpu (on the RAA) or use your own custom script using a
combination of win32ole + wmi. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-...
wmi/win32_processor.asp

> 2. How do I find out how much of a given ethernet connection
> is being used? (i.e. if it's a gigabit connection and 1Mbps
> are being used, I'd like to get back "1%".

Again, win32ole + wmi. I think you want
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-...
wmi/win32_networkadapter.asp

> 3. Starting programs into the background is done the same
> way as on *nix, right?

No. See the 'start' command for launching background processes from the
shell. Use services for everything else.

> 4. How can I tell how much of a CPU a program is currently using?

Same as #1 above?

> 5. How do I start a Ruby program at boot (a service)?

Yes, a service would be best.

> 6. Can I use something like ruby2exe to package up my Ruby service?

I've never tried it but I don't see why not. There's no real need,
however, as you can install services on remote windows machines,
assuming you have permissions. See win32-service.

> 7. Does Windows use signals? How can I tell a program that
> I've started to stop (i.e. on *nix, I'd do it via SIGTERM or SIGKILL).

Windows does events, not signals. Use Process.kill to stop a program.
Preferably the Process.kill defined in win32-process.

> 8. Any known issues with DRb and Windows?

On that topic I cannot say.

Regards,

Dan

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication