Fwd: Reap's rubytest script

Trans

8/20/2006 9:12:00 PM

My 'rubytest' program which allows one to directly run tests that are
commented in =begin test ... =end blocks in source. I've thought for a
while now that maybe that's not a good name. But I could never think
of a better one. Today I thought that maybe 'test#' might be good
since '#' seems to be an accepatable file name character on all
platforms. What do others think of this? Any other suggestions? Or
should I just stick to 'rubytest'.

Thanks,
T.

5 Answers

Nicholas Parsons

unittest

TRANS wrote:
> My 'rubytest' program which allows one to directly run tests that are
> commented in =begin test ... =end blocks in source. I've thought for a
> while now that maybe that's not a good name. But I could never think
> of a better one. Today I thought that maybe 'test#' might be good
> since '#' seems to be an accepatable file name character on all
> platforms. What do others think of this? Any other suggestions? Or
> should I just stick to 'rubytest'.

test/inline?

> Thanks,
> T.

William Crawford

TRANS wrote:

> of a better one. Today I thought that maybe 'test#' might be good

test# makes me think it's for testing C#. They name all their stuff
like that.

Morton Goldberg

On Aug 20, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Eero Saynatkari wrote:

> test/inline?

The idea's good, but I would prefer a variant: 'inline_test'.

Also, please consider 'intrinsic_test' and 'embedded_test' as a
candidates.

Regards, Morton

Trans

TRANS wrote:
> My 'rubytest' program which allows one to directly run tests that are
> commented in =begin test ... =end blocks in source. I've thought for a
> while now that maybe that's not a good name. But I could never think
> of a better one. Today I thought that maybe 'test#' might be good
> since '#' seems to be an accepatable file name character on all
> platforms. What do others think of this? Any other suggestions? Or
> should I just stick to 'rubytest'.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I noticed a couple of things today. Python comes with a script called
'unittestgui'. But more interesting Ruby appearently comes with a
script 'testrb' that runs unit tests. I was hiding on my system because
it was named 'testrb1.8' and not linked (DEBIAN MAINTAINERS YOU MIGHT
WANT TO FIX THIS!) So ideally it would be nice if my comment runner
code could just be added to this script. Who maintains the test/unit
code these days?

Thanks,
T.