Re: Ruby, memory and speed

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Ruby, memory and speed"
on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:16:33 +0900, "Francis Cianfrocca" <garbagecat10@gmail.com> writes:

|This is a perfect example of what I've noticed many times: Ruby's
|performance is perfectly fast and acceptable until the working set gets a
|certain (not terribly large) size, then it falls off a cliff. GC perhaps has
|something to do with it, but I suspect that's only a small part of the
|problem.

This may be caused by the problem addressed in 1.9:

Mon Jul 10 19:22:19 2006 Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org>

* gc.c (gc_sweep): expand heap earlier.
reported by MORITA Naoyuki. [ruby-dev:28960]

matz.

6 Answers

Kent Sibilev

On 8/17/06, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Ruby, memory and speed"
> on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:16:33 +0900, "Francis Cianfrocca" <garbagecat10@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |This is a perfect example of what I've noticed many times: Ruby's
> |performance is perfectly fast and acceptable until the working set gets a
> |certain (not terribly large) size, then it falls off a cliff. GC perhaps has
> |something to do with it, but I suspect that's only a small part of the
> |problem.
>
> This may be caused by the problem addressed in 1.9:
>
> Mon Jul 10 19:22:19 2006 Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org>
>
> * gc.c (gc_sweep): expand heap earlier.
> reported by MORITA Naoyuki. [ruby-dev:28960]
>
> matz.

Any plans to back port it to ruby_1_8 branch?

--
Kent
---

on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:52:33 +0900, "Kent Sibilev" <ksruby@gmail.com> writes:

|> This may be caused by the problem addressed in 1.9:
|>
|> Mon Jul 10 19:22:19 2006 Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org>
|>
|> * gc.c (gc_sweep): expand heap earlier.
|> reported by MORITA Naoyuki. [ruby-dev:28960]

|Any plans to back port it to ruby_1_8 branch?

Not for 1.8.5. Maybe later.

matz.

Tanaka Akira

In article <1155838551.182804.25025.nullmailer@x31.priv.netlab.jp>,
Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@ruby-lang.org> writes:

> |Any plans to back port it to ruby_1_8 branch?
>
> Not for 1.8.5. Maybe later.

Do you withdraw [ruby-dev:29004]?
--
Tanaka Akira

on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:02:02 +0900, Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org> writes:

|> |Any plans to back port it to ruby_1_8 branch?
|>
|> Not for 1.8.5. Maybe later.
|
|Do you withdraw [ruby-dev:29004]?

Ah, I am terribly sorry to forget. It's checked in to 1.8.

matz.

guillaume.marcais

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,

> |> Not for 1.8.5. Maybe later.
> |
> |Do you withdraw [ruby-dev:29004]?
>
> Ah, I am terribly sorry to forget. It's checked in to 1.8.
>
> matz.

Great. I'll compile ruby from CVS and give it a try.

Guillaume.

Guillaume Marcais

Le 17 août 06, à 20:55, guillaume.marcais@gmail.com a écrit :

> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message "Re: Ruby, memory and speed"
>> on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:02:02 +0900, Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org>

>> |Do you withdraw [ruby-dev:29004]?
>>
>> Ah, I am terribly sorry to forget. It's checked in to 1.8.
>>
>> matz.
>
> Great. I'll compile ruby from CVS and give it a try.

In my particular case, it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Thanks,
Guillaume.