Multiple templates - one app

Agazoom

8/17/2006 1:25:00 AM

Hi everyone,
Rails newbie here so forgive the question if the answer is ridiculously
obvious.

I am trying to write an app that meets the following requirements. I'd
like to do it in Rails, but having pored over documentation for that
past couple of days, don't even know whether it's feasible or not.
Basically:

* One codebase
* multiple domains
* each domain will have the same base functionality, but the look and
feel will be determined based on a selection of templates

To summarize, I would like a system whereby people can sign up for a
site, pick their domain name, everyone gets the same functionality, but
they can choose from a selection of provided templates and customize
the look and feel of their site.

if it is possible, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks ... your comments are appreciated.

8 Answers

Max Muermann

> To summarize, I would like a system whereby people can sign up for a
> site, pick their domain name, everyone gets the same functionality, but
> they can choose from a selection of provided templates and customize
> the look and feel of their site.

Aha, theme support. Have a look at
http://www.mattmccray.com/archives/category/software/rails/them...

Max

Agazoom

You said what I mean in one word ... themes! Thanks man! I'll take a
look.

Max Muermann wrote:

> > To summarize, I would like a system whereby people can sign up for a
> > site, pick their domain name, everyone gets the same functionality, but
> > they can choose from a selection of provided templates and customize
> > the look and feel of their site.
> >

> Aha, theme support. Have a look at
> http://www.mattmccray.com/archives/category/software/rails/them...
>
> Max

Agazoom

I'm still not sure whether this allows me set up a different theme per
domain name.

Agazoom wrote:
> You said what I mean in one word ... themes! Thanks man! I'll take a
> look.
>

> Max Muermann wrote:
> > >
> > > To summarize, I would like a system whereby people can sign up for a
> > > site, pick their domain name, everyone gets the same functionality, but
> > > they can choose from a selection of provided templates and customize
> > > the look and feel of their site.
> > >

> > Aha, theme support. Have a look at
> > http://www.mattmccray.com/archives/category/software/rails/them...
> >
> > Max

Logan Capaldo

On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:20 AM, Agazoom wrote:

> I'm still not sure whether this allows me set up a different theme per
> domain name.

This is a question better answered on the rails mailing list.
http://lists.rubyon...

> Agazoom wrote:
>> You said what I mean in one word ... themes! Thanks man! I'll
>> take a
>> look.

>>> Aha, theme support. Have a look at
>>> http://www.mattmccray.com/archives/category/software/ra...
>>> support/
>>>
>>> Max

Jano Svitok

On 8/17/06, Agazoom <agazoom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still not sure whether this allows me set up a different theme per
> domain name.
>

> Agazoom wrote:
> > You said what I mean in one word ... themes! Thanks man! I'll take a
> > look.

Just an idea, possibly plain wrong: maybe be it's possible to do by
playing with url rewriting/proxying - try to setup all domains to
point to the same rails app, and pass the domain name as a parameter.
Still I'm not sure about this, as rails likes to know what its base
url is, to be able to generate proper links.

J.

Dave Peterson

I didn't look at the other lines of code, but try:

Set obk = workbooks.open(thisworkbook.path & "\" & filename & ".xls")

(added the Set statement)

--

Dave Peterson

farid2001

Perfect Dave, it openned the customer's workbook.
Now I am having gebug problems with
obk.worksheets(1).range("a1").currentregion.column(1).find(datetofind, .....)
What am I supposed to enter instead of .....?

Thanks & regards
Farid

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I didn't look at the other lines of code, but try:
>
> Set obk = workbooks.open(thisworkbook.path & "\" & filename & ".xls")
>
> (added the Set statement)
>
> farid2001 wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your help incre-d.
> >
> > I'm new in VBA and I have problems with debuging with
> > obk = workbooks.open(thisworkbook.path & "\" & filename & ".xls")
> > Could you kindly please be more specific?
> >
> > Thanks & regards
> > farid2001
> >
> > "incre-d" wrote:
> >
> > > you'll need to debug this, and test, for index offsets, and the like
> > >
> > > var = yourRange
> > > lRows = yourRange.Rows.count
> > > redim data(4)
> > > for lRowCount = 1 to lRows
> > > set orngDest = nothing
> > > filename = var(lrowcount,4)
> > > datetofind = var(lrowcount,1)
> > > obk = workbooks.open(thisworkbook.path & "\" & filename & ".xls")
> > > set oRngToFind =
> > > obk.worksheets(1).range("a1").currentregion.column(1).find(datetofind, .....
> > > )
> > > if orngToFind is nothing then
> > > set orngDest =
> > > obk.worksheets(1).range("a1").offset(obk.worksheets(1).range("a1").currentregion.rows.count()).resize(1,4)
> > >
> > > for i = 1 to orngdest.columns.count
> > > data(i) = var(lrowcount,i)
> > > next i
> > > orngDest.value2 = data
> > > end if
> > > application.displayalerts = false
> > > obk.save
> > > obk.close
> > > application.displayalerts = true
> > > next lRowCount

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Record a macro when you do an Edit|Find.

You'll see all the parms that you can use.

ps. this line is really one logical line put on multiple physical lines:

set oRngToFind _
obk.worksheets(1).range("a1").currentregion.columnS(1) _
.find(datetofind, ..... )

(I added an S to .columns, too)

--

Dave Peterson