Gmail and ruby-talk (was Re: Pen and Paper (#90

Rick DeNatale

8/13/2006 2:34:00 PM

On 8/13/06, Matt Todd <chiology@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric, if you use Gmail, it'll show up twice because Gmail adds your
> response as well as the email you get of what you just sent back from
> the list. So, in effect, you keep your response as well as getting
> your response back, and Google shows it twice.
>
> :) Sorry to be off topic!
>
> M.T.

Matt,

Thanks for confirming that. I've been seeing some of my posts twice
and assumed that it was an interaction between gmail and the list, but
wasn't sure.

Most of the lists I subscribe to with gmail don't exhibit this
behavior though, it must have something to do with the headers
ruby-talk uses.

At least I'm reasonably sure now that I'm not boring y'all twice with each post.

--
Rick DeNatale

http://talklikeaduck.denh...

3 Answers

James Gray

On Aug 13, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Most of the lists I subscribe to with gmail don't exhibit this
> behavior though, it must have something to do with the headers
> ruby-talk uses.

I'm *assuming* this happens because Ruby Talk is configured by
default to send you a copy of your message. So you are seeing
GMail's sent message and the Ruby Talk message sent to you. (That's
total guesswork on my part though.)

I'm pretty sure you can change your Ruby Talk configuration to shut
this off, if you desire.

James Edward Gray II

Matt Todd

I did not know you could shut it off. But, yes, that's been my
figuring, too, that Gmail is showing you what you sent, and you are
receiving it back. That's also why there's a slight delay in getting
the second one.

At least nobody's been affected adversely, as I feared when I first
joined. Nobody knew what I was talking about! Hah.

Now I'm going to go find out how to turn off sending me my own emails!

M.T.

jmg3000

On 8/13/06, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
> > Most of the lists I subscribe to with gmail don't exhibit this
> > behavior though, it must have something to do with the headers
> > ruby-talk uses.
>
> I'm *assuming* this happens because Ruby Talk is configured by
> default to send you a copy of your message. So you are seeing
> GMail's sent message and the Ruby Talk message sent to you. (That's
> total guesswork on my part though.)
>
> I'm pretty sure you can change your Ruby Talk configuration to shut
> this off, if you desire.

This has been discussed a number of times here. It might be useful to
add a little blurb about it on the ruby-lang ML page
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/200...).

---John