Ruby climbed up to the 13th place in the Tiobe index

zoat

8/13/2006 8:38:00 AM

In blitz interview with Bruce Tate, he says that does not know, use, or
has an opinion on the Ruby language yet. But since this language
climbed up to the 13th place in the Tiobe index, it deserves to be
taken seriously.
Tiobe Index
http://www.tiobe.co...
Blitz Interview: Can Ruby Live Without Rails?
http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/...

2 Answers

dblack

darren kirby

quoth the Robert Dober:
> On 8/13/06, zoat <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > In blitz interview with Bruce Tate, he says that does not know, use, or
> > has an opinion on the Ruby language yet. But since this language
> > climbed up to the 13th place in the Tiobe index, it deserves to be
> > taken seriously.
> > Tiobe Index
> > http://www.tiobe.co...
> > Blitz Interview: Can Ruby Live Without Rails?
> > http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/...
>
> I just do not like these kind of ratings, I believe that they are
> manipulatory, defending the interest of certain persons/lobbies and are
> often very biased.
> Am I wrong on this one?

Well, I don't know about the rankings being controlled by anyones interests,
this page:
http://www.tiobe.co...
states the rankings are based on search engine hits, which I really don't
think is a useful metric for anything but anecdotal evidence. The
whole 'status' ranking however does seem somewhat arbitrary, even after
reading the description of it.

> I would appreciate any point of view.
> On one hand the site claims to define the ranking on available knowledge
> acceptance etc. OTH it does not give any definition of cretira and uses
> terms like Status that do not seem to be defined anywhere.
> Enough to make a notorious pessimist very, very sceptic about it. :(

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in it...about as useful as a googlefight!

> Cheers
> Robert

-d
--