Trans

Tim Pease

On 8/10/06, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> W00t! Had to share this discovery:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/br...
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/br...%20word
>
> T.

Should we ask Matz to rename the singleton to the "nonce"? How about
a new keyword for referring to the singleton ...

class << self

becomes

nonce self do

how about

module Kernel
def nonce( arg, &block )
n = class << arg; self end
return n.class_eval(&block) if block_given?

I do like the word, though -- etymology is fun!

TwP

Trans

Tim Pease wrote:

> Should we ask Matz to rename the singleton to the "nonce"?

We'll, I think it's enough to point out that this term is there. It's a
got a classy feel to it, "nonce class", which is nice. So we can all
just sort of maul it over and we'll see if it perculates upward. For
starters I'm using it when I assign it to var, eg. nonce =
(class<<self;self;end)

> How about
> a new keyword for referring to the singleton ...
>
> class << self
>
> becomes
>
> nonce self do

Like that. Never really cared for the << notation since it looks like
appending to an array or string, etc.

> how about
>
> module Kernel
> def nonce( arg, &block )
> n = class << arg; self end
> return n.class_eval(&block) if block_given?
>
> I do like the word, though -- etymology is fun!

:-) Definitely. I was quite floored to find an honest ot goodness
synonym for singleton. And it's obscure enough so it doesn't have any
significant connotation baggage, which is great.

T.

dblack

Trans

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Tim Pease wrote:
>
> > Should we ask Matz to rename the singleton to the "nonce"? How about
> > a new keyword for referring to the singleton ...
> >
> > class << self
> > end
> >
> > becomes
> >
> > nonce self do
> > end
> >
> > how about
> >
> > module Kernel
> > def nonce( arg, &block )
> > n = class << arg; self end
> > return n.class_eval(&block) if block_given?
> > end
> > end
> >

> > I do like the word, though -- etymology is fun!
>
> The problem with it for singleton class is that it is really a time
> word. It suggests "for now", whereas a singleton class can be
> accessed repeatedly. It's kind of the same problem as "ad hoc", since
> if you use a singleton class twice, it's not for one particular
> purpose.

An occassion need not be limited to an instantaneous moment. Could I
not say, "I have occassion for an Eigenclass"? It also has other
connotations, such as "need".

I don't think any word is ever going to be perfect, precisely becuase
there is no precise word for it. We have to define one. And the problem
with "singleton" is that it's already taken.

T.

Hal E. Fulton

Trans wrote:

> An occassion need not be limited to an instantaneous moment. Could I
> not say, "I have occassion for an Eigenclass"? It also has other
> connotations, such as "need".
>
> I don't think any word is ever going to be perfect, precisely becuase
> there is no precise word for it. We have to define one. And the problem
> with "singleton" is that it's already taken.

I've never perceived a problem there. "Singleton" is used in different
circumstances, as is "nonce." Much of meaning depends on context.

But "nonce" does carry a strong connotation of "one-time usage."

Hal

Trans

Hal Fulton wrote:
> Trans wrote:
> >
> > An occassion need not be limited to an instantaneous moment. Could I
> > not say, "I have occassion for an Eigenclass"? It also has other
> > connotations, such as "need".
> >
> > I don't think any word is ever going to be perfect, precisely becuase
> > there is no precise word for it. We have to define one. And the problem
> > with "singleton" is that it's already taken.
>
> I've never perceived a problem there. "Singleton" is used in different
> circumstances, as is "nonce." Much of meaning depends on context.
>
> But "nonce" does carry a strong connotation of "one-time usage."

Honestly. Have you ever even used the work _nonce_ in your entire life?

Right. So how "strong" can any connotation possibly be? The idea here
is clearly to give it a new connotation --that's the point. With
Singleton, it's not just a connotation but rather a complete
redefinition of an already accepted term in OOP parlance.

T.

Trans

Trans wrote:

> Honestly. Have you ever even used the work _nonce_ in your entire life?

s/work/word/

T.

Ara.T.Howard

Hal E. Fulton

Trans wrote:
> Hal Fulton wrote:
>
>>Trans wrote:
>>
>>>An occassion need not be limited to an instantaneous moment. Could I
>>>not say, "I have occassion for an Eigenclass"? It also has other
>>>connotations, such as "need".
>>>
>>>I don't think any word is ever going to be perfect, precisely becuase
>>>there is no precise word for it. We have to define one. And the problem
>>>with "singleton" is that it's already taken.
>>
>>I've never perceived a problem there. "Singleton" is used in different
>>circumstances, as is "nonce." Much of meaning depends on context.
>>
>>But "nonce" does carry a strong connotation of "one-time usage."
>

> Honestly. Have you ever even used the work _nonce_ in your entire life?

I have used it many times over the last twenty years, mostly in
the phrase "for the nonce."

Hal

Hal E. Fulton

Hal Fulton wrote:
> Trans wrote:
>>
>> Honestly. Have you ever even used the work _nonce_ in your entire life?
>
> I have used it many times over the last twenty years, mostly in
> the phrase "for the nonce."
>
> Hal

Also in the contexts of cryptography, mathematics, and Lojban.

Hal