Fortran 77

Chris Gehlker

8/10/2006 2:32:00 AM

I just happened upon the the footnote on page 187 of the Pickaxe book
about how RDoc can document Fortran 77. Does Dave Thomas write a lot
of Fortran code?

I had to ask.

--
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
-Frank William Leahy, football coach (1908-1973)

4 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 22:32, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>
>> I just happened upon the the footnote on page 187 of the Pickaxe book
>> about how RDoc can document Fortran 77. Does Dave Thomas write a lot
>> of Fortran code?
>

> No, but the NASA folks do, and they submitted a patch :)
>

> Dave
NASA still uses FORTRAN *77*? Man, *that's* frightening ... does their
patch work with the "new" dialects like 90 and 95?

<ducking>

Ara.T.Howard

Bil Kleb

Chris Gehlker wrote:
> I just happened upon the the footnote on page 187 of the Pickaxe book
> about how RDoc can document Fortran 77. Does Dave Thomas write a lot of
> Fortran code?

Actually my officemate and I hacked that crude Fortran/90/ parser
into RDoc one afternoon (100 LOC, fragile regexps) and Dave accepted
it into the fold.

Our group never really found much use for it, and so we didn't
pursue developing it. The GFD Dennou Club, however, has created
a (robust, polished) version that I believe Ryan Davis is trying
to work into core or split out as a gem -- see

http://dennou-h.gfd-dennou.org/library/dcmodel/doc/rd...

Later,
--
Bil
http://funit.rub...

Chris Gehlker

On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:50 AM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Actually my officemate and I hacked that crude Fortran/90/ parser
> into RDoc one afternoon (100 LOC, fragile regexps) and Dave accepted
> it into the fold.
>
> Our group never really found much use for it, and so we didn't
> pursue developing it. The GFD Dennou Club, however, has created
> a (robust, polished) version that I believe Ryan Davis is trying
> to work into core or split out as a gem -- see

Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense now.

--
For blocks are better cleft with wedges,
Than tools of sharp or subtle edges,