Does Ruby have a built-in SMS Class??

Trupti Deshpande

8/9/2006 4:32:00 PM

Can we send SMS using a ruby script from a PC to a mobile?? Does Ruby
have a built-in SMS class? I would appreciate if you could post some
sample code or references for the same.

Thanks

Justin Collins

Trupti Deshpande wrote:
> Can we send SMS using a ruby script from a PC to a mobile?? Does Ruby
> have a built-in SMS class? I would appreciate if you could post some
> sample code or references for the same.
>
> Thanks

No, there's nothing built in. However, some quick Googling found:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project...

And a site which is running on rails which sends reminders to your phone:
http://ohdontf...

But SMS can almost always just be sent as email, right? So you could use
any kind of mailer library or Net/SMTP (in the standard library) to
generate and send emails to your phone's email address. Usually that's
something like <phonenumber>@verizon.net or similar.

Hope that helps a little bit.

-Justin

Matthew Smillie

On Aug 9, 2006, at 17:45, Justin Collins wrote:

> Trupti Deshpande wrote:
>> Can we send SMS using a ruby script from a PC to a mobile?? Does
>> Ruby have a built-in SMS class? I would appreciate if you could
>> post some sample code or references for the same.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> No, there's nothing built in. However, some quick Googling found:
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project...
>
> And a site which is running on rails which sends reminders to your
> phone:
> http://ohdontf...
>
> But SMS can almost always just be sent as email, right?

I wish. I know this is common in the US, but elsewhere it's a
premium service if it's available at all.

There's nothing built-in because sending an SMS relies on having some
sort of gateway to a mobile network. Email gateways aren't always
available, and aren't always free when they are available. If you
don't want to use a phone (like the ruby-sms library does), then
you'll have to find a third-party SMS-forwarding service and use
whatever format they prescribe.

matthew smillie.

Trupti Deshpande

Justin Collins wrote:

> But SMS can almost always just be sent as email, right? So you could use
> any kind of mailer library or Net/SMTP (in the standard library) to
> generate and send emails to your phone's email address. Usually that's
> something like <phonenumber>@verizon.net or similar.
>

> Hope that helps a little bit.
>
> -Justin

Hey thanks Justin , completely slipped my dud mind , that I can send it
as an email as well..actually what I thought was I might not get an
alert for an email message received ...the way you have for SMS. Anywas
would consider that approach
thanks again :)

Dido Sevilla

On 8/10/06, Justin Collins <collinsj@seattleu.edu> wrote:

> But SMS can almost always just be sent as email, right?

No. I've worked with all of the major mobile carriers in my country
and none of them have ever provided an email to SMS gateway
themselves. They've provided an interface to their SMS centers
instead. What I find more flexible would be to set up Kannel
(www.kannel.org) and use it to interface with the mobile carrier's
SMSC (or to a wireless/GSM modem). Kannel provides you with an HTTP
GET interface to send SMS, and if you want to receive SMS Kannel will
act as an HTTP client to a server you designate and submit the message
received also via HTTP.

Remus Shepherd

> <zeborah@gmail.com> writes
> >I've been a member of rasfc since at least 1998; that's a third of my
> >life. I've seen it at its best, and I've held onto that memory as it
> >has become an increasingly hostile environment to me and my friends

Usenet in general has become an increasingly hostile environment.
Nobody should be using any Usenet group as their primary link to any
community; the service is broken, and awash in juveniles. But the converse
is true also -- anybody who remains on Usenet should be willing and able
to deal with the flamewars, trolls, and other problems.

Helen Hall <usenet@baradel.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I think that says it all really. Just look around the group for a
> moment. If you were a new writer coming across rasfc for the first time,
> where is the useful discussion that would help you become a better
> writer?

Newcomers hopefully have some experience with Usenet, and with filtering
out its chaff. They'll look for articles titled "Better Critiquing" or
"Thrillers and third person", both of which are current. They'll ignore
the other stuff because it can be found everywhere on Usenet.

The decline of Usenet has been happening for over a decade, and it's
gotten much worse since 2003 or so. I don't understand why people are
reaching their tipping point now.

> But at the end of last year I slipped quietly way from the group because
> instead of inspiring me, rasfc is much more likely to make me angry, sad
> and upset. I just don't need that in my life.

Understandable. No one can fault you for that.

> Killfiles help a bit, but they're not the answer. The group has
> deteriorated to such an extent that it's like trying to hold a
> discussion in the middle of a bar fight. As a former rasfcian said
> recently on LiveJournal, why should we have to put up with behaviour
> that would not be tolerated for one moment in a face-to-face writers'
> group or SF convention?

Well, the answer is that this isn't a writers' group. It's a bar,
and occasionally there's a fight in the corner. :)

> Like Zeborah, I won't be responding to any posts here. If any old
> friends want to keep in touch I can be found on LiveJournal at
> heleninwales.livejournal.com and on Twitter I'm mhhall. I'm also on
> Facebook as Helen Hall with the baradel email address and my user
> picture is me reading a How To Write book.

Good ways to get in touch with you, Helen.

Now I have a question. It's easy to leave one's community, but a
true challenge is migrating the community as a whole to better lands.
What online writers' forums can people use in lieu of rasfc? Are there
any well-known, well-moderated forums that this community can transplant
into?

I *should* be active on the Absolute Write forums...they made me a
special account there. But they're broken on my old browser, so it's a
pain to navigate through them. I wonder if there are any other options
that people can recommend?

.... ...
Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com>
Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/remus...

Nicky

On Apr 24, 2:34 pm, Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:
> >    Now I have a question.  It's easy to leave one's community, but a
> true challenge is migrating the community as a whole to better lands.
> What online writers' forums can people use in lieu of rasfc?  Are there
> any well-known, well-moderated forums that this community can transplant
> into?
>
>    I *should* be active on the Absolute Write forums...they made me a
> special account there.  But they're broken on my old browser, so it's a
> pain to navigate through them.  I wonder if there are any other options
> that people can recommend?

I use Absolute Write from time to time and there have been atttempts
to set up various groups on lj etc.
Nicky

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Remus Shepherd wrote:
>> <zeborah@gmail.com> writes
>>> I've been a member of rasfc since at least 1998; that's a third of my
>>> life. I've seen it at its best, and I've held onto that memory as it
>>> has become an increasingly hostile environment to me and my friends
>
> Usenet in general has become an increasingly hostile environment.
> Nobody should be using any Usenet group as their primary link to any
> community; the service is broken, and awash in juveniles. But the converse
> is true also -- anybody who remains on Usenet should be willing and able
> to deal with the flamewars, trolls, and other problems.

I think the JUVENILES are much, MUCH more prevalent on all the other fora.

Usenet is on average MUCH older than the others, and so's its readership.

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;

Andrew Halliwell

Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com> wrote:
> I *should* be active on the Absolute Write forums...they made me a
> special account there. But they're broken on my old browser, so it's a
> pain to navigate through them. I wonder if there are any other options
> that people can recommend?

The word cloud isn't a bad forum based site.
They had a troll on there causing a ruckus recently and he's been banned
(and blocked from rejoining)

http://www.thewor...

Anna Feruglio Dal Dan

On 24 Apr, 14:34, Remus Shepherd <re...@panix.com> wrote:
> > <zebo...@gmail.com> writes
> > >I've been a member of rasfc since at least 1998; that's a third of my
> > >life.  I've seen it at its best, and I've held onto that memory as it
> > >has become an increasingly hostile environment to me and my friends
>
>    Usenet in general has become an increasingly hostile environment.
> Nobody should be using any Usenet group as their primary link to any
> community; the service is broken, and awash in juveniles.  But the converse
> is true also -- anybody who remains on Usenet should be willing and able
> to deal with the flamewars, trolls, and other problems.

Yeah, that would be why a lot of people decamped.

> Helen Hall <use...@baradel.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I think that says it all really. Just look around the group for a
> > moment. If you were a new writer coming across rasfc for the first time,
> > where is the useful discussion that would help you become a better
> > writer?
>
>    Newcomers hopefully have some experience with Usenet, and with filtering
> out its chaff.  They'll look for articles titled "Better Critiquing" or
> "Thrillers and third person", both of which are current.  They'll ignore
> the other stuff because it can be found everywhere on Usenet.

My experience is that it's getting harder and harder to get Usenet.
It's no longer included in the protocols most ISP supply and I haven't
found a way of hanging on to it. I could pay a subscription... but
right now I'm broke, and even before, paying for the privilege of
hearing white oldish American males say they don' wanna pay taxes is,
what can I say... not worth as much as a good green curry. Hell, a bad
green curry for that matter.

>    The decline of Usenet has been happening for over a decade, and it's
> gotten much worse since 2003 or so.  I don't understand why people are
> reaching their tipping point now.

People aren't: Zeborah is.

>    Well, the answer is that this isn't a writers' group.  It's a bar,
> and occasionally there's a fight in the corner.  :)

Yeah, but it used to be a coffee shop with people throwing paper
Spitfires at each other. Now there's sawdust on the floor, the music
is too loud, and people keep trying to grope me.

>    Now I have a question.  It's easy to leave one's community, but a
> true challenge is migrating the community as a whole to better lands.
> What online writers' forums can people use in lieu of rasfc?  Are there
> any well-known, well-moderated forums that this community can transplant
> into?

Not that I know of. And frankly, even if I did, I wouldn't be saying
it here.

I have had good discussions on LJ. It's not Usenet but it isn't a
collection of monads either if you just use the tracking function.

Brian M. Scott

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:21:17 -0700 (PDT), Anna Feruglio Dal
Dan <anna.fdd@gmail.com> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.composition:

[...]

> My experience is that it's getting harder and harder to
> get Usenet. It's no longer included in the protocols most
> ISP supply and I haven't found a way of hanging on to it.
> I could pay a subscription... but right now I'm broke,
> and even before, paying for the privilege of hearing
> white oldish American males say they don' wanna pay taxes
> is, what can I say... not worth as much as a good green
> curry. Hell, a bad green curry for that matter.

You probably don't care, but <news.motzarella.org> offers
free access to text-only newsgroups.

[...]

Brian