AMD Dual Core and Ruby

Meino Christian Cramer

Dick Davies

The ruby interpreter isn't multithreaded, so it won't take advantage of
SMP sytems.

On 08/08/06, Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does the ruby interpreter use both cores automagically or do I have
> to do/program something special ?

http://number9.helloope...

Matthias Ludwig

> does the ruby interpreter use both cores automagically or do I have
> to do/program something special ?
The interpreter doesn't support multithreading itself, so all
ruby-scripts will only use 1 Core, even when they create ruby-threads.
But maybe you can use more than 1 process (e.g. call "fork" instead
creating a thread). Your OS will (hopefully) schedule the second
interpreter on the second core.

best regards,
Matthias

Dr Nic

Dick Davies wrote:
> The ruby interpreter isn't multithreaded, so it won't take advantage of
> SMP sytems.

But you can read your email at the same time :)

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/8/06, Dr Nic <drnicwilliams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dick Davies wrote:
> > The ruby interpreter isn't multithreaded, so it won't take advantage of
> > SMP sytems.
>
> But you can read your email at the same time :)

Actually, most second cores on desktop machines (and Windows servers)
are already too busy processing all your spam and viruses. ;-)

ptkwt

In article <20060808.105503.41655252.Meino.Cramer@gmx.de>,
Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
> does the ruby interpreter use both cores automagically or do I have
> to do/program something special ?

You have to do something special.

check out the slave package from Ara T. Howard:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1024&relea...

Phil