Tutorial on wrapping C/C++ libraries for use in Ruby?

Ritesh Tijoriwala

8/4/2006 6:21:00 PM

Is there any tutorial/link/website that explains how to wrap existing
c/c++ libraries for use from within Ruby?

Lyle Johnson

On 8/4/06, Ritesh Tijoriwala <riteshtijoriwala@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any tutorial/link/website that explains how to wrap existing
> c/c++ libraries for use from within Ruby?

Google for "swig ruby" and you should find some useful links. SWIG
(http://www...) is a tool for semi-automatically generating
Ruby wrapper code for C/C++ libraries.

Ritesh Tijoriwala

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Ritesh Tijoriwala <riteshtijoriwala@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any tutorial/link/website that explains how to wrap existing
>> c/c++ libraries for use from within Ruby?
>
> Google for "swig ruby" and you should find some useful links. SWIG
> (http://www...) is a tool for semi-automatically generating
> Ruby wrapper code for C/C++ libraries.

I tried swig but is not that clean. I am looking for hand wrapping C/C++
libraries for use with Ruby.

Tim Hunter

Ritesh Tijoriwala wrote:
> Lyle Johnson wrote:
>> On 8/4/06, Ritesh Tijoriwala <riteshtijoriwala@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any tutorial/link/website that explains how to wrap existing
>>> c/c++ libraries for use from within Ruby?
>> Google for "swig ruby" and you should find some useful links. SWIG
>> (http://www...) is a tool for semi-automatically generating
>> Ruby wrapper code for C/C++ libraries.
>
> I tried swig but is not that clean. I am looking for hand wrapping C/C++
> libraries for use with Ruby.

The Pickaxe (http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/...)
is probably your best source of information about this. Also the Ruby
tarball includes a file called (iirc) README.EXT that has the basic
information.

Joe Van Dyk

On 8/4/06, Ritesh Tijoriwala <riteshtijoriwala@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lyle Johnson wrote:
> > On 8/4/06, Ritesh Tijoriwala <riteshtijoriwala@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any tutorial/link/website that explains how to wrap existing
> >> c/c++ libraries for use from within Ruby?
> >
> > Google for "swig ruby" and you should find some useful links. SWIG
> > (http://www...) is a tool for semi-automatically generating
> > Ruby wrapper code for C/C++ libraries.
>
> I tried swig but is not that clean. I am looking for hand wrapping C/C++
> libraries for use with Ruby.

1. http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/11/18/extending...

2. There's a good introduction in
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/..., which you