Re: [ANN] JRuby Extras - making Ruby apps spectacular in the Java world

Zed A. Shaw

8/3/2006 6:10:00 AM

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:40 +0900, Charles O Nutter wrote:
> I'm happy to announce the JRuby Extras project, on RubyForge as
> jruby-extras. This project is intended to be a community-maintained nursery
> of plugins and extensions to extend JRuby's capabilities and to provide
> Java-based versions of many popular C extensions. Here's a short list of
> projects to be nurtured under the JRuby Extras banner:
>
> - A Mongrel for JRuby, with Java-based http11 and tst extensions

The tst is going away. 0.4 won't have it so you're better off doing an
alternative to http11. The code for this is in the svn, ask me for help
getting it.

Also, please please please please please please please please please
please please please please please please please don't don't don't don't
don't don't don't don't don't don't ... hand code the HTTP parser.

Use a parser generator.

Anyway, feel free to hit me up for help.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.ze...

2 Answers

Ola Bini

Zed Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:40 +0900, Charles O Nutter wrote:
>> I'm happy to announce the JRuby Extras project, on RubyForge as
>> jruby-extras. This project is intended to be a community-maintained nursery
>> of plugins and extensions to extend JRuby's capabilities and to provide
>> Java-based versions of many popular C extensions. Here's a short list of
>> projects to be nurtured under the JRuby Extras banner:
>>
>> - A Mongrel for JRuby, with Java-based http11 and tst extensions
>
> The tst is going away. 0.4 won't have it so you're better off doing an
> alternative to http11. The code for this is in the svn, ask me for help
> getting it.
>
> Also, please please please please please please please please please
> please please please please please please please don't don't don't don't
> don't don't don't don't don't don't ... hand code the HTTP parser.
>
> Use a parser generator.
>
> Anyway, feel free to hit me up for help.

Well, the TST took only 1 hour to port, so I believe it's OK to waste
that time. Regarding the parser, we've discussed it back and forth. The
problem is that Ragel isn't available on Java yet. But hand coding it
was never an option (I've read your statements about how many security
holes get fixed by having a parser generator). Right now Danny Lagrouw
have created a JavaCC version which seems really good.

No worries, we want Mongrel on JRuby because it's _good_ at what it
does, so it would defeat our purposes to change any of that.

--
Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.bl...)
JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor

Zed A. Shaw

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 16:20 +0900, Ola Bini wrote:
> Zed Shaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:40 +0900, Charles O Nutter wrote:
> >> I'm happy to announce the JRuby Extras project, on RubyForge as
> >> jruby-extras. This project is intended to be a community-maintained nursery
> >> of plugins and extensions to extend JRuby's capabilities and to provide
> >> Java-based versions of many popular C extensions. Here's a short list of
> >> projects to be nurtured under the JRuby Extras banner:
> >>
> >> - A Mongrel for JRuby, with Java-based http11 and tst extensions
> >
> > The tst is going away. 0.4 won't have it so you're better off doing an
> > alternative to http11. The code for this is in the svn, ask me for help
> > getting it.
> >
> > Also, please please please please please please please please please
> > please please please please please please please don't don't don't don't
> > don't don't don't don't don't don't ... hand code the HTTP parser.
> >
> > Use a parser generator.
> >
> > Anyway, feel free to hit me up for help.
> >

> Well, the TST took only 1 hour to port, so I believe it's OK to waste
> that time. Regarding the parser, we've discussed it back and forth.

That's cool, but the problem isn't how easy it is to write, the problem
is that _why wrote a completely different URI classifier that allows for
nicer notifiers and registrations and all in pure Ruby. It's in the 0.4
code, so your work was basically for nothing really.

We should maybe coordinate on this a bit so that you folks get the right
code to base your work on and we can sync up with the 0.4 release.