Interfacing with local ports

jasonlally

8/3/2006 3:52:00 AM

I have a very broad question to ask here. I'll start with the
scenario. I need to develop a ruby application that will take input
from a device attached to a USB port on a computer and convert it to a
web readable format and send it to a web application for parsing on a
server. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to read the input
and turn it into a SOAP or XML-RPC format that another server would
read. So the ruby application sitting on a computer would have to stay
open as a service (server) and take input, convert it and send it and
wait for a response to make sure the request went through. The device
connected to the USB is a reciever for keypads, and multiple keypads
could send input at a time. So anywhere from 1 to 500 responses to the
receiver could occur at any time (would this require some sort of
threading?).

I'm not expecting a solution to my problem, but maybe some resources on
how ruby can interface with local ports and convert the information.
If anyone has some example code or a good site with this information,
please send it my way. Also, if anyone knows of or is an expert ruby
programmer in the Philadelphia area that could help me with the problem
more directly, I would love to talk to you.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on the best way to communicate
information between servers using ruby, I'm willing to listen.

Thanks.

1 Answer

erickit

On Aug 31, 10:52 am, FreakandGeek <kstras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 9:39 am, erickit <erickitr...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 30, 6:30 pm, FreakandGeek <kstras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Has anyone here tried putting in lightning flippers in their BK2K. I
> > > am thinking of putting some in mine to up the challenge some.
>
> > > Any thoughts or insights?
>
> > >  - Kevin
>
> > I put 3 black bolts on my Spider-man, looks real good and makes it a
> > little better bouncing the ball off the center post.
> >  Go for it if you want, my BK2K is CCed and plays way too fast for
> > bolts.
>
> > Eric
>
> My Bk2K is plenty fast too...it just seems like it will be more
> challenging if it is not so easy to get the ball up in the upper
> playfield. I figure with the shorter flipper bats...hitting that left
> ramp will not be so automatic.
>
>  - Kevin

I don't think it would be much of a difference on the upper pf flipper
as much as the 1/4" bigger opening at the center drain.
I don't really see a change on the upper flip on my Spider-Man and can
still tag the GG targets off the tip.

Eric