Ruby 1.8.4 & MemCached 0.0.4

navinsamuel

8/2/2006 6:22:00 PM

I recently upgraded my Ruby from 1.8.2 to 1.8.4. I also installed
MemCached 0.0.1 using 'gem install'. When I try to upgrade the gem to
0.0.4 provided by Trac, (http://deveiate.org/projects...) it
gives me some weird errors. This did not happen with 1.8.2.

Is there a place where I can view gem compatibility with different
versions of ruby?

7 Answers

Will in New Haven

On Jan 30, 9:11 pm, ju...@pascal.org wrote:
> On Jan 30, 6:23 pm, Will in New Haven
>

> <bill.re...@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 4:30 pm, ju...@pascal.org wrote:
>
> > > So... my telepath carries a BFG.    I refer to it as a shoulder
> > > cannon.   In my mind I'm thinking of something like a bazooka or LAW
> > > or some such, at least in size and how it's held.
>
> > > She shot a person with it.   It didn't vaporize him, it turned him
> > > into mush which spattered all over the person standing next to him but
> > > didn't hurt her.
>
> > > Overkill, for certain.   So far they've not met the creature that
> > > requires this sort of firepower to defend against, only ordinary
> > > panther or tiger sized beasties.   The weapon is a foreshadowing of
> > > the fact that something very big and very mean is out there someplace.
>
> > > On one level I really don't care how this gun works.   It just does.
> > > It splatters things because splatter engages more senses (it's cooler)
> > > than a smoking hole in a torso.   But, and because there is always a
> > > catch, I'm wondering how it sounds.    (Whoosh-splat is out of the
> > > question.)
>
> > > "Ahead of Ava, out of sight, came the distinctive hollow thwump and
> > > echoed percussion of Zhenu's shoulder cannon; behind her, Raun's
> > > pounding feet."
>
> > > The more I look at that sentence the more I think it might not be
> > > English, but will the sound work for something that might be a
> > > combination of energy and flechette launched through a tube?
>
> > > Any other ideas?
>
> > Looks ok to me but your monster better be something supernatural if
> > you can't kill it with a fifty-caliber machinegun. Someone rocking Ma
> > Deuce could have made "Jurassive Park" into a slaughterhouse.
>
> > --
> > Will in New Haven
>
> Yes, but aren't those generally mounted weapons?
>
> Good point though.

There are other dinosaur-killers. Nothing that has ever lived on this
planet can be the kind of menace that monster fiction or monster
movies need if it can be caught in the open by people with firearms.

About Ma Deuce being a mounted weapon. It certainly is, for the most
part, but I have read that the SF author CM Kornbluth lugged one
around the Battle of the Bulge on foot. He received a Bronze Star. I
would imagine that he had to fire it from a bipod or tripod or at
least from a rest. However, the strain was said by some to contribute
to his early death from a heart attack.

--
Will in New Haven

--
Will in New Haven

cryptoguy

On Jan 30, 9:11 pm, ju...@pascal.org wrote:
> On Jan 30, 6:23 pm, Will in New Haven
>

> <bill.re...@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 4:30 pm, ju...@pascal.org wrote:
>
> > > So... my telepath carries a BFG.    I refer to it as a shoulder
> > > cannon.   In my mind I'm thinking of something like a bazooka or LAW
> > > or some such, at least in size and how it's held.
>
> > > She shot a person with it.   It didn't vaporize him, it turned him
> > > into mush which spattered all over the person standing next to him but
> > > didn't hurt her.
>
> > > Overkill, for certain.   So far they've not met the creature that
> > > requires this sort of firepower to defend against, only ordinary
> > > panther or tiger sized beasties.   The weapon is a foreshadowing of
> > > the fact that something very big and very mean is out there someplace.
>
> > > On one level I really don't care how this gun works.   It just does.
> > > It splatters things because splatter engages more senses (it's cooler)
> > > than a smoking hole in a torso.   But, and because there is always a
> > > catch, I'm wondering how it sounds.    (Whoosh-splat is out of the
> > > question.)
>
> > > "Ahead of Ava, out of sight, came the distinctive hollow thwump and
> > > echoed percussion of Zhenu's shoulder cannon; behind her, Raun's
> > > pounding feet."
>
> > > The more I look at that sentence the more I think it might not be
> > > English, but will the sound work for something that might be a
> > > combination of energy and flechette launched through a tube?
>
> > > Any other ideas?
>
> > Looks ok to me but your monster better be something supernatural if
> > you can't kill it with a fifty-caliber machinegun. Someone rocking Ma
> > Deuce could have made "Jurassive Park" into a slaughterhouse.

> Yes, but aren't those generally mounted weapons?
> Good point though.

Deuces, yes. But there are shoulder usable rifles that fire 50 BMG
(though you really don't want to use them standing up)

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rif...

is probably the most powerful rifle available on the civilian market.
I understand that Barrett has worked on a slightly larger caliber
gun for the military, which can fire explosive rounds.

Peter Trei

Crs

On Feb 3, 11:57 am, cryptoguy <treifam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deuces, yes. But there are shoulder usable rifles that fire 50 BMG
> (though you really don't want to use them standing up)
>
> http://www.barrettrifles.com/rif...
>
> is probably the most powerful rifle available on the civilian market.
> I understand that Barrett has worked on a slightly larger caliber
> gun for the military, which can fire explosive rounds.
>
> Peter Trei- Hide quoted text -

Here's a rifle that shoots a 20mm(.79 cal) low velocity bullet/
grenade-

http://www.quarry.nildram.co....

Rather smallish for a grenade, but it should suitably mush flesh.

James A. Donald

Crs <crsteevens@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a rifle that shoots a 20mm(.79 cal) low
> velocity bullet/ grenade-
>
> http://www.quarry.nildram.co....
>
> Rather smallish for a grenade, but it should suitably
> mush flesh.

Now that is an insanely cool weapon.
"in most cases bursting munitions only need to
be delivered to the immediate vicinity of the
target to neutralize it"

Still, because the bullets are so huge (they are
actually small grenades) it can only fire seven bullets
between reloads, which is a problem.

For the true BFG, one wants a backpack to hold the ammo,
and a flexible arm between the backpack and the point
and click part of the gun transmitting power and ammo
from the backpack to your point and click device - the
arm guides a belt, the end of which gets shredded as
each bullet is delivered.

One also wants big sights substantially offset from the
gun, so that line of fire is in line with the part of
your body that absorbs the recoil.

Future combat devices are likely to have a video game
interface - one sees an image on a screen transmitted by
a small high flying device, selects the location of
one's computer controlled mortar and the location of the
target, and the small computer controlled mortar walks
its shots to the selected point.

--
----------------------
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because

http://ww...

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

James A. Donald wrote:

> For the true BFG, one wants a backpack to hold the ammo,
> and a flexible arm between the backpack and the point
> and click part of the gun transmitting power and ammo
> from the backpack to your point and click device - the
> arm guides a belt, the end of which gets shredded as
> each bullet is delivered.

And carried by Jesse "I ain't got time to bleed" Ventura.

--
Sea Wasp
/^ ;;;

Bill Swears

I think "The Body" belongs in more stories than Buckley. He should be
everywhere that SF grunts bleed.

Bill

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> James A. Donald wrote:
>
>> For the true BFG, one wants a backpack to hold the ammo, and a
>> flexible arm between the backpack and the point and click part of the
>> gun transmitting power and ammo
>> from the backpack to your point and click device - the
>> arm guides a belt, the end of which gets shredded as
>> each bullet is delivered.
>
> And carried by Jesse "I ain't got time to bleed" Ventura.

--
rec.arts.sf.composition is a USENET group, and can be accessed for free.
If you are paying for anything beyond your internet access to read these

Crs

James A. Donald wrote:
> Now that is an insanely cool weapon.
>         "in most cases bursting munitions only need to
>         be delivered to the immediate vicinity of the
>         target to neutralize it"

Well, the OP was interested in a monster masher used by one person, on
the move. That left out the M2 mentioned up thread, it needs at least
a tripod. Lift it to your hip and pull the trigger and you'll spray
hot lead everywhere. So she needs a single shot, not automatic.

The Barrett .50 will drop any land animal on earth but you have to hit
a T. Rex type beastie in the head or neck to drop it in its tracks,
I'd think. Hence the 20mm PAW and its explosive warhead. In the fog
of war, just a single torso hit would give an Allosaurus reason to
reconsider.<gr> Plus with the bursting ammo you get the sound effects
she wanted.

BTW, they make a single shot anti-materiel rifle which fires the
standard, 20mm high velocity loads-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v...

I can't picture a telepath running around with that lunker dropping
beasties, with its size and recoil.