Ruby MySQL Gem uses older client library

Paul Mcconnon

8/2/2006 3:04:00 PM

Hi there, can ayone enlighten me on why I Ruby (using MySQl gem) would
use an older client library.

I have an XP box for developing and an Ubuntu box for deployment.

Both have 5.x clients installed. The ubuntu still has older clients as
well.

Some code I have written requires the 5.x client. This code runs on the
XP box but not on the Ubuntu box (apart from this glitch other Ruby /
Mysql works fine)

In investigating the issue I ran IRB, required 'mysql' and called
Mysql.get_client_version. The version reported on Ubuntu was a 4.x
driver, the version on XP the correct 5.x driver.

Ubuntu's libraries and config are correctly set at 5.x and symlinks
point to correct libraries.

I am thinking I may have installed the 5.x client after I has installed
the 2.7 mysql gem, would this 'lock' the Gem to the older client? Do I
need to re-install / rebuild the Gem??

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Paul

ps I tried searching forum first but search is disabled, apologies if
this has been asked before. I tried googling to no avail.

Paul Mcconnon

Jeff Everett wrote:
> Paul,
>
> You will probably need to reinstall the MySQL gem. When that gem
> installs,
> it compiles native extensions based on your current MySQL libraries. If
> you
> upgrade MySQL, you have to recompile the gem.
>
> Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff.

Regards,

Paul