Re: debugging bad gems?

Jim Weirich

8/2/2006 11:24:00 AM

John Fink wrote:
> [...] However, neither of these two gems work. For sruby I get the
> following in irb:
>
>>> require 'sru'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- sru
> from (irb):1:in `require'
> from (irb):1

The fact that there is no reference to RubyGem's custom_require in your
backtrace leads me to suspect that you don't have RubyGems loaded. Put
an explicit "require 'rubygems'" in the code, use the -rubygems switch
on the command line, or set the RUBYOPT environment variable to
'rubygems'.

> The marc gem does require correctly, but when it comes time to execute
> the
> sample code listed I get the following error from irb:
>
> reader = MARC::Reader.new('batch.dat')
>
> NameError: uninitialized constant MARC::Reader
> from (irb):2
> from :0

Don't know about this, but I would double check the RubyGems issue first
before pursuing other options.

-- Jim Weirich