Ruby on Rails newbie question

ajay.kalyan

8/1/2006 11:54:00 PM

I just inherited a project. I had to make a small change to a helper
file located in the helper folder (apps/helpers) and uploaded that .rb
file only to my remote server, but nothing changed.

I tried to see if the changes were applied to my local server and it
works fine. Am I missing something? Do I need to compile the .rb file
or upload more than that 1 .rb file.

Thanks for your help

2 Answers

Justin Collins

8/2/2006

0

ajay.kalyan@gmail.com wrote:
> I just inherited a project. I had to make a small change to a helper
> file located in the helper folder (apps/helpers) and uploaded that .rb
> file only to my remote server, but nothing changed.
>
> I tried to see if the changes were applied to my local server and it
> works fine. Am I missing something? Do I need to compile the .rb file
> or upload more than that 1 .rb file.
>
> Thanks for your help

You probably need to restart your webserver or similar in order to
reload the file.

And, generally, you'll want to ask Rails-specific questions on the Rails
mailing list, as this is the Ruby mailing list.

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/list...

-Justin

Simen

On 8/2/06, ajay.kalyan@gmail.com <ajay.kalyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to see if the changes were applied to my local server and it
> works fine. Am I missing something? Do I need to compile the .rb file
> or upload more than that 1 .rb file.
>
> Thanks for your help

You don't need to compile Ruby files, but if you replace a file in a
running system, it won't get loaded automatically. You need to restart
the system (in this case, the Rails application). If that wasn't the
problem, then this is a rails-specific issue.

--
- Simen