XCode 2.2.1 attaching to ruby process for debugging

yue_nicholas

I am developing an extension for Ruby and wish to debug it using
XCode.

I used mkmf.rb to generate the Makefile to compile the bundle.

The extension works fine, I am adding more complicated features and
would like to use XCode to debug the more complicated bits.

I was able to start irb to exercise the extension and I was able to
attach to the irb process from XCode.

But it does not seems to be honour the breakpoints I set in the
source code.

As a comparison, I am able to attach to the ruby process on Windows
using Visual Studio and when I load and run my extension, it does stop
at the break points I set.

Is there some addition compiler/linker flag I need to set in my
extconf.rb file for XCode to play well with irb? Given that OSX(BSD)
and Linux have similarity, I am wondering if anyone is using an IDE to
debug Ruby extension on Linux, e.g. Eclipse?

BTW, I am writing my extension using C++.

Cheers

8 Answers

Ray

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:24:52 -0700, °cg°
<cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:55:04 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:42:28 -0700, °cg°
>><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Can working smarter make our brains smaller? Well, if working smarter
>>>means we use a PC more and more, this guy theorizes the answer is
>>>"yes".
>>>
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>He reminds us that the oldest stone tools we've found are 2.5 million
>>>years old. But the genus to which we belong, Homo, is only 2.2 million
>>>years old, at least according to the current fossil record. Our
>>>species, Homo sapiens, has been around for less time than the gap
>>>between tool creation and our genus.
>>> :
>>> :
>>> :
>>>Here's the freaky part of his theory. If it's true, our use of
>>>computers could shrinking our brains.
>>>
>>><http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/survival_of_the_weakest_how_technology_made_us_h...
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>What say you?
>>
>>I bet he knows Al & just hates global warming. LOL
>
>This connection goes right over my head. But maybe I'll get it in the
>morning since I slow down as the sun goes down.

Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
up.
--
Ray
Mind over matter, if you don?t mind, it don?t matter.

?cg?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:16:15 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:24:52 -0700, °cg°
><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:55:04 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>>wrote:

>>>I bet he knows Al & just hates global warming. LOL
>>
>>This connection goes right over my head. But maybe I'll get it in the
>>morning since I slow down as the sun goes down.
>
>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>up.

Thanks Ray 'cause I didn't get it this morning either. Now I do.

--
°cg°

Fortune Cookie: A conclusion is simply where you
arrive when you get tired of thinking.

Ray

wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:24:52 -0700, °cg°
><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:55:04 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>>wrote:

>>>I bet he knows Al & just hates global warming. LOL
>>
>>This connection goes right over my head. But maybe I'll get it in the
>>morning since I slow down as the sun goes down.
>
>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>up.

Your right however I used the truth as a joke. Would there be a rule
against that?
--
Ray
Mind over matter, if you don?t mind, it don?t matter.
(Confucius)

Ray

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:52:43 -0700, °cg°
<cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:16:15 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:24:52 -0700, °cg°
>><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>This connection goes right over my head. But maybe I'll get it in the
>>>morning since I slow down as the sun goes down.
>>
>>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>>up.
>
>Thanks Ray 'cause I didn't get it this morning either. Now I do.

Not a problem. I see things different than many here because they are
into it so heavy there is no room for a joke. There is only one person
on Usenet that I would call many words & mean it. One word being a
moron. But they do not live in the US. Not sure why people forget this
is Usenet. Its completely useless to get pissed off over anything
anyone says. If they can't handle it they should get off Usenet. Just
my 2¢ worth.
--

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:00:42 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:52:43 -0700, °cg°
><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:16:15 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>>>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>>>up.
>>
>>Thanks Ray 'cause I didn't get it this morning either. Now I do.
>
>Not a problem. I see things different than many here because they are
>into it so heavy there is no room for a joke. There is only one person
>on Usenet that I would call many words & mean it. One word being a
>moron. But they do not live in the US. Not sure why people forget this
>is Usenet. Its completely useless to get pissed off over anything
>anyone says. If they can't handle it they should get off Usenet. Just
>my 2¢ worth.

I agree, pretty much. I think most, if not all, get upset from time
to time. Words can hurt. But you are correct if you are saying there
comes a time to bury the dead and move on.

--

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:50:07 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:16:15 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:24:52 -0700, °cg°
>><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>This connection goes right over my head. But maybe I'll get it in the
>>>morning since I slow down as the sun goes down.
>>
>>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>>up.
>
>Your right however I used the truth as a joke. Would there be a rule
>against that?

Of course not but, from time to time, I do think there should be a
rule about talking to yourself. ;-))

--
°cg°

Fortune Cookie: A conclusion is simply where you
arrive when you get tired of thinking.

Ray

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 01:38:25 -0700, °cg°
<cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:00:42 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:52:43 -0700, °cg°
>><cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Thanks Ray 'cause I didn't get it this morning either. Now I do.
>>
>>Not a problem. I see things different than many here because they are
>>into it so heavy there is no room for a joke. There is only one person
>>on Usenet that I would call many words & mean it. One word being a
>>moron. But they do not live in the US. Not sure why people forget this
>>is Usenet. Its completely useless to get pissed off over anything
>>anyone says. If they can't handle it they should get off Usenet. Just
>>my 2¢ worth.
>
>I agree, pretty much. I think most, if not all, get upset from time
>to time. Words can hurt. But you are correct if you are saying there
>comes a time to bury the dead and move on.

Thats about it. If they can't handle it don't dish it out because they
will get it right back.
--
Ray
Mind over matter, if you don?t mind, it don?t matter.
(Confucius)

Ray

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 01:40:07 -0700, °cg°
<cgrams7@{removethis}yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:50:07 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:16:15 -0500, Ray <askwho@nothere-there.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Okay. I think the guy is wrong just as Al is wrong. Now you are
>>>supposed to look at it as a joke. But its a fact they are both screwed
>>>up.
>>
>>Your right however I used the truth as a joke. Would there be a rule
>>against that?
>
>Of course not but, from time to time, I do think there should be a
>rule about talking to yourself. ;-))

I agree. OS needs to stop that.