CHM files?

Clifford Heath

7/31/2006 6:56:00 AM

In Debian Linux, there's a group of "libchm" packages that
offer an API and tools to unpack Windows Compiled Help Module
files. A lot of EBooks are delivered this way, including the
Ruby Book, and it's always bugged me that I have no Linux
option for reading them (I know the Ruby book is available as
HTML, but it isn't as easy to use as the Windows help viewer).

Anyhow, I unpacked an EBook using "extract_chmLib", and found
the .hhc file which contains the table of contents. It's just
an HTML file with a set of nested <UL> lists, and each <LI>
contains an <object>. The objects have parameters for Name
and "Local", and I translated them to <a href=Local>Name</a>,
and got a working table of contents. Add a little bit of framery,
and I have a working EBook, sweet.

Ok, my question. Would anyone be interested in a Ruby or Apache
module that provides a normal HTML interface to a CHM file?
Because it looks pretty feasible, and I don't think it's been
done.

Clifford Heath.
3 Answers

Kent Sibilev

On 7/31/06, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> wrote:

> Ok, my question. Would anyone be interested in a Ruby or Apache
> module that provides a normal HTML interface to a CHM file?
> Because it looks pretty feasible, and I don't think it's been
> done.

I'm not sure about debian, but ubuntu has libchm-bin package which
comes with chm_http application. It does exactly what you want and no
apache is required.

--
Kent
---

Clifford Heath

Kent Sibilev wrote:
> I'm not sure about debian, but ubuntu has libchm-bin package which
> comes with chm_http application. It does exactly what you want and no
> apache is required.

Ahh, I thought it should have been done. Debian has it too, I just
hadn't found it. Excellent start... needs a bit (ok, a lot) of work
though. Then all it needs is an Apache module for it and I'll be
laughing :-).

Paul Battley

On 31/07/06, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> wrote:
> In Debian Linux, there's a group of "libchm" packages that
> offer an API and tools to unpack Windows Compiled Help Module
> files. A lot of EBooks are delivered this way, including the
> Ruby Book, and it's always bugged me that I have no Linux
> option for reading them (I know the Ruby book is available as
> HTML, but it isn't as easy to use as the Windows help viewer).

You could use xchm, which is very much like the Windows viewer:
http://xchm.source...

(Note for OS X users: xchm works on OS X, but chmox is better:
http://chmox.source...)

Paul.