[ANN] ZenTest 3.3.0

Ryan Davis

7/28/2006 9:58:00 PM

ZenTest version 3.3.0 has been released!

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...

== DESCRIPTION

ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.

ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
corresponding dependent tests.

multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
for compatibility checking!

Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.

== FEATURES

* Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
* Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
* Continually and intelligently test only those files you change with
autotest.
* Test against multiple versions with multiruby.
* Enhance and automatically audit your rails tests using Test::Rails.
* Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
Pat Eyler.
* See also: http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...
* See also: http://blog.segment7.net/articles/catego...

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...

Changes:

+ 1 major enhancement:
+ autotest has been rewritten to be much cleaner, now has a plugin
system.
+ 5 minor enhancement:
+ test/rails adds helper tests, "stolen" from Geoff's work, (which
was "stolen" from ryan's work. :P)
+ autotest turnaround is now faster.
+ Added more prune dirs to autotest.
+ test/rails rewinds IOs containing captured output. Added
assert_empty.
+ Document that autotest doesn't run the db:test:prepare rake task
when in Rails mode.
+ Added ruby_fork, but haven't fully plugged into autotest yet.
+ 7 bug fixes:
+ Add SIGINT handler to unit_diff to give a more graceful exit.
+ Don't strip <> from tempfiles, parse_diff does it for us.
+ Fixed autotest problems on windoze. Ugh.
+ Fixed broken pipe bug and newline bug in unit_diff.
+ Make request_method in ControllerTestCase a String.
+ multitest installs rubygems if tarball found in versions dir.
+ multitest only configures when makefile is missing. Rebuilds much
faster now.
+ ruby_fork exits without backtrace and allows redirection of output.

http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...

6 Answers

Stefan Lang

On Saturday, July 29, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
>ZenTest version 3.3.0 has been released!
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
> http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...
>
>== DESCRIPTION
>
>ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
>autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.
>
>ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
>code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
>pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.
>
>unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
>actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.
>
>autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
>development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
>corresponding dependent tests.
>
>multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
>for compatibility checking!
>
>Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.
>
>== FEATURES
>
>* Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
>* Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
>* Continually and intelligently test only those files you change
>with autotest.
>* Test against multiple versions with multiruby.
>* Enhance and automatically audit your rails tests using Test::Rails.
>* Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
>Pat Eyler.
>* See also: http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...
>* See also: http://blog.segment7.net/articles/catego...
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
>
>Changes:
>
>+ 1 major enhancement:
> + autotest has been rewritten to be much cleaner, now has a plugin system.
>+ 5 minor enhancement:
> + test/rails adds helper tests, "stolen" from Geoff's work, (which
>was "stolen" from ryan's work. :P)
> + autotest turnaround is now faster.
> + Added more prune dirs to autotest.
> + test/rails rewinds IOs containing captured output. Added assert_empty.
> + Document that autotest doesn't run the db:test:prepare rake task
>when in Rails mode.
> + Added ruby_fork, but haven't fully plugged into autotest yet.
>+ 7 bug fixes:
> + Add SIGINT handler to unit_diff to give a more graceful exit.
> + Don't strip <> from tempfiles, parse_diff does it for us.
> + Fixed autotest problems on windoze. Ugh.
> + Fixed broken pipe bug and newline bug in unit_diff.
> + Make request_method in ControllerTestCase a String.
> + multitest installs rubygems if tarball found in versions dir.
> + multitest only configures when makefile is missing. Rebuilds much
>faster now.
> + ruby_fork exits without backtrace and allows redirection of output.
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...

gem install ZenTest
ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
404 Not Found

_Kevin
www.sciwerks.com

--
Posted with http://De.... Sign up and save your mailbox.

Stefan Lang

On Saturday, July 29, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Kevin Olbrich wrote:

> [...]
>> + Document that autotest doesn't run the db:test:prepare rake task
>>when in Rails mode.
>> + Added ruby_fork, but haven't fully plugged into autotest yet.
>>+ 7 bug fixes:
>> + Add SIGINT handler to unit_diff to give a more graceful exit.
>> + Don't strip <> from tempfiles, parse_diff does it for us.
>> + Fixed autotest problems on windoze. Ugh.
>> + Fixed broken pipe bug and newline bug in unit_diff.
>> + Make request_method in ControllerTestCase a String.
>> + multitest installs rubygems if tarball found in versions dir.
>> + multitest only configures when makefile is missing. Rebuilds much
>>faster now.
>> + ruby_fork exits without backtrace and allows redirection of output.
>>
>> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
>>

>gem install ZenTest
>ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)

working now.. thanks!

_Kevin
www.sciwerks.com

--
Posted with http://De.... Sign up and save your mailbox.

Alexandru Popescu

Hi Ryan!

Just a friendly advise: if I am visiting [1] and the first read:

[quote]
ZenTest version 3.3.0 (aka Project Doesn't Suck) has been released!
[/quote]

I may appreciate your honesty, and your sense of humor, but will
somehow make me think if I really want to play with it :-].

Hope there to be no offense,

/alex
--
w( the_mindstorm )p.

[1] http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...

On 7/29/06, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:
> ZenTest version 3.3.0 has been released!
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
> http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...
>
> == DESCRIPTION
>
> ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
> autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.
>
> ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
> code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
> pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.
>
> unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
> actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.
>
> autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
> development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
> corresponding dependent tests.
>
> multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
> for compatibility checking!
>
> Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.
>
> == FEATURES
>
> * Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
> * Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
> * Continually and intelligently test only those files you change with
> autotest.
> * Test against multiple versions with multiruby.
> * Enhance and automatically audit your rails tests using Test::Rails.
> * Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
> Pat Eyler.
> * See also: http://blog.zenspider.com/archive...
> * See also: http://blog.segment7.net/articles/catego...
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...
>
> Changes:
>
> + 1 major enhancement:
> + autotest has been rewritten to be much cleaner, now has a plugin
> system.
> + 5 minor enhancement:
> + test/rails adds helper tests, "stolen" from Geoff's work, (which
> was "stolen" from ryan's work. :P)
> + autotest turnaround is now faster.
> + Added more prune dirs to autotest.
> + test/rails rewinds IOs containing captured output. Added
> assert_empty.
> + Document that autotest doesn't run the db:test:prepare rake task
> when in Rails mode.
> + Added ruby_fork, but haven't fully plugged into autotest yet.
> + 7 bug fixes:
> + Add SIGINT handler to unit_diff to give a more graceful exit.
> + Don't strip <> from tempfiles, parse_diff does it for us.
> + Fixed autotest problems on windoze. Ugh.
> + Fixed broken pipe bug and newline bug in unit_diff.
> + Make request_method in ControllerTestCase a String.
> + multitest installs rubygems if tarball found in versions dir.
> + multitest only configures when makefile is missing. Rebuilds much
> faster now.
> + ruby_fork exits without backtrace and allows redirection of output.
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Product...

user@domain.invalid

le 29/07/2006 09:30, Alexandru Popescu nous a dit:
> Hi Ryan!
>
> Just a friendly advise: if I am visiting [1] and the first read:
>
> [quote]
> ZenTest version 3.3.0 (aka Project Doesn't Suck) has been released!
> [/quote]
>
> I may appreciate your honesty, and your sense of humor, but will
> somehow make me think if I really want to play with it :-].
>
> Hope there to be no offense,

Honestly, you should ! If you use autotest for more than 5 minutes
you'll never go back to rake test:stuff, never !

Thanks for these tools Ryan !

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/29/06, Zouplaz <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
> le 29/07/2006 09:30, Alexandru Popescu nous a dit:
> > Hi Ryan!
> >
> > Just a friendly advise: if I am visiting [1] and the first read:
> >
> > [quote]
> > ZenTest version 3.3.0 (aka Project Doesn't Suck) has been released!
> > [/quote]
> >
> > I may appreciate your honesty, and your sense of humor, but will
> > somehow make me think if I really want to play with it :-].
> >
> > Hope there to be no offense,
>
> Honestly, you should ! If you use autotest for more than 5 minutes
> you'll never go back to rake test:stuff, never !
>
> Thanks for these tools Ryan !

Say, how do I get the Rails view tests to be ran by the default rake
task? autotest runs the view tests, but running 'rake tests' doesn't
run the view tests.

Joe

Eric Hodel

On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:01 AM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> On 7/29/06, Zouplaz <user@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> Say, how do I get the Rails view tests to be ran by the default rake
> task? autotest runs the view tests, but running 'rake tests' doesn't
> run the view tests.

Read "How to convert to Test::Rails" here:

http://zentest.rubyforge.org/classes/Test/...

The important step is:

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...