OT: Wish I were coding in Ruby...

greg.kujawa

7/27/2006 10:19:00 PM

instead of wearing my other hat. As network admin I am forced to
(finally) migrate my company from a Windows NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 domain
to a Windows/Exchange 2003 server AD. My CFO didn't like the idea that
we will finally have to buy into the software subscription model
Microsoft adopted either.

God, I wish I was coding in Ruby right now :-)

5 Answers

Brian McCallister

Ruby talks COM really nicely...

-Brian

On Jul 27, 2006, at 3:20 PM, gregarican wrote:

> instead of wearing my other hat. As network admin I am forced to
> (finally) migrate my company from a Windows NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 domain
> to a Windows/Exchange 2003 server AD. My CFO didn't like the idea that
> we will finally have to buy into the software subscription model
> Microsoft adopted either.
>
> God, I wish I was coding in Ruby right now :-)

greg.kujawa

True. I also have thrown together some things that perform tasks such
as push/pull Exchange CDO information, talk to the NT SAM database,
retrieve file sharing details, etc. Perhaps I can utilize Ruby to
automate some of the migration command line utils that Microsoft has
for migration.

Although I have had to support Microsoft networking OS'es going back to
NT 3.51 I still dislike them to one degree or another. Like when
reading some knowledge base article they have detailing a known "needle
in a haystack" issue that isn't/won't be addressed. From years and
years ago nonetheless.

I like wearing my other hat as in-house app developer a lot better. At
least then I have more control over the bug reports...

Brian McCallister wrote:
> Ruby talks COM really nicely...
>
> -Brian
>
> On Jul 27, 2006, at 3:20 PM, gregarican wrote:
>
> > instead of wearing my other hat. As network admin I am forced to
> > (finally) migrate my company from a Windows NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 domain
> > to a Windows/Exchange 2003 server AD. My CFO didn't like the idea that
> > we will finally have to buy into the software subscription model
> > Microsoft adopted either.
> >
> > God, I wish I was coding in Ruby right now :-)

S Wayne

Yea, huh, that does sound boring. Fortunately I have a pretty
interesting software dev job. And while I am being moved off of my
usual Linux job for a bit, I will be developing for the Macintosh. In
fact I am getting ready to cut a PO for a couple of Macintosh's I will
be needing.

I guess I shouldn't rub that in though ;0)

Ara.T.Howard

greg.kujawa

That does sound like quite an operation. Everyone has their cross to
bear I suppose. How much easier was the task implemented using Ruby?