How would I store data to a server?

Ryan Macy

7/27/2006 6:59:00 PM

What would be the best way to store data to a remote database like
postgreSQL from any computer in the world, Is there a lib or binding to
do this? Or would I have to use ruby on rails with ruby to get this
effect?

khaines

Ryan Macy

Ok what I am attempting to figure out is; I want to have a gtk windows,
with said window on startup I want it too connect to a database to
retrive the user list, clans, and etc. With this data I will sort it out
on the program display the users clan, members, etc. I need to connect
to a database on my server but I do not wish to have connection
passwords and such in the code.

khaines

Jano Svitok

1. for mysql, there is a c binding and pure ruby binding AFAIK. for
pgsql and others, I suppose at least binary ones exist.

2. regarding the password: if you do not want to store it in the code,
you can obviously either ask it from user or do not ask it at all. Or,
you can provide other means of transferring information than direct db
connection. That wouldn't solve the problem with password, but will
allow you more fine-grained control. I think webservices are good for
this - using e.g. xmlrpc you can write them pretty easily, both server
and client (in a few lines of code for each). The server would
probably need to run under webrick or mongrel or something similar.

J.