Re: Embedded Ruby and OpenGL

Frank Davis

7/26/2006 11:02:00 PM

You're right about installing stuff. I've had to un-install some pretty
weird things from people's computers in the past.

Here's a good entry-point for more information on the Canvas tag,
supported by Firefox 1.5 and above:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Drawing_Graphics_w...

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounce@example.com [mailto:list-bounce@example.com] On Behalf
Of Matthew Carlin
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:41 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Embedded Ruby and OpenGL

Frank Davis wrote:
> There's only one way I can see this working: Develop a plugin for
> Firefox, using C / C++, that would operate very similar to the way the

> Flash plugin works. Your plugin would have a Ruby interpreter embedded

> in it, and support OpenGL rendering onto the space provided for it by
> the browser. Your plugin would run a Ruby/OpenGL script the same way
> the Flash plugin runs .SWF files.
>
> While this would be a really cool plugin (and I'd definitely use it if

> it already existed), I think most people decide just to use one of the

> existing alternatives (Flash, Shockwave, SVG, or the nifty new Canvas)

> once they see the amount of work involved. Plus, these's the drawback
> of requiring people to install your plugin before your web page will
> render correctly -- that's so dot-com!
>

> Frank Davis

Flash is equal parts wonderful and stupid. I've never seen this "Canvas"

thing, and I'll definitely check that out. It's good to know the Erb /
OGL thing can be done in principle, though I'd say it's just a bit out
of my league as yet.

As for installing... people do it for things much less cool than 3d
games :-)

Thanks much,
Matthew Carlin