Re: eRuby: A tutorial on using Ruby on the web

Mat Schaffer

7/26/2006 2:32:00 PM

On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:45 AM, tesla wrote:

> A group (three) of us wanted to learn Ruby but we decided that
> Rails was no
> the way to do it. We could not find anything on getting started
> with using
> web oriented Ruby we took a bit of time to do a tutorial. It covers
> how to
> set up a PC and a shared host for eRuby scripting.
>
> It is windows oriented because that is the common ground for us
> all . (two
> of us are windows and lotus network admins) We tried to make it
> newbie
> friendly. Hopefully it will spark some more interest in Ruby from
> others
> coming from PHP and other scripting languages.
>
> http://www.hiveminds.co.uk...

Nice work! I'm always happy to see more tutorials covering this
angle. I like the use of CGI to get the parameters, but I'd really
like to see more documentation for the Apache:: set of classes, since
they're already included when you hit the .rhml (IIRC).

Either way, thanks!
-Mat

2 Answers

anne001

I would love to see a tutorial on using Ruby on the web, rails free.

This tutorial is more about installation. As far as showing what Ruby
can do, it is as limited as all the old book which touched on the
subject. Show how to generate an html page, show how to post with CGI.
Stop.

I agree, this are all necessary steps, and it takes a lot of time to
get there, I know, I went that route too, Rails is too much of a
muchness...

But I wish there was a tutorial which went beyond, is cgi limited to
forms, is eruby limited to creating an html page?

Mat Schaffer

On Jul 26, 2006, at 11:07 AM, tesla wrote:

> Yes, I saw mentions of this Apache::Erubyrun in the lists but I did
> not find
> the class in any of the documentation. We want to use the simpliest
> means of
> scripting because we later will be trying to teach this to highschool
> students. Is the Apache class better but just not documented?
> translated?

I don't know if it's better or worse, it just doesn't require typing:

require 'cgi'
cgi = CGI.new

into every script cause it's already available. The mod_ruby list-
folk have been fairly knowledgeable about the Apache module in the
past when I asked a few questions. But on the whole it's been pretty
rough going learning how to use that library.
-Mat