connecting to sap in ruby

Jason Cruz

7/26/2006 7:44:00 AM

Hello guys,

I am researching on how to connect to sap using ruby scripting. Well, I
have found some websites that talks about connecting ruby to sap and
most of their idea is to use SAP::RFC to connect to sap in ruby. I have
tried connecting to sap in ruby using SAP::RFC and all things went
right.

My question is is there any other way to connect to sap in ruby w/o
using SAP::RFC? Additionally, is it possible to manipulate the objects
inside sap (like clicking buttons, adding text to textbox inside the
sap)?

Jason Cruz

Sorry for my late reply.

I am trying to look for a ruby gem that will connect to sap (aside from
saprfc gem). My idea of integrating ruby with sap is just like using
watir to make a test script for a web page. If you've already seen watir
drived websites, well that's what I want to do (manipulate objecs inside
a program).

Currently, i'm doing scripts in watir for process automation in the
websites that I am handling. This process automation is what I wanted to
do in sap, using ruby (to make a script for automating the reports that
I generate in sap).

As for now, i'm still exploring if my idea is possible...
If anyone has an idea about how to solve my problem, your help is highly
appreciated.

unknown wrote:
> I've been watching with interest to see if anyone replied to this, but
> it doesn't look as though they're going to :-(. I'm afraid I can't
> answer your question: I'm also working on Ruby to SAP, but have settled
> on the RFC route. I'm intruiged by your application,though: my interest
> is in providing a web interface to the R/3 system, but it sounds as
> though you're planning to replace the SAP screens entirely... Would be
> very interested to hear what you're doing and how you get on.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Catherine

Piers Harding

Hi - is this an OLE automation type thing that you are thinking of?

If it is - then there are drivers for the SAP GUI, but then again I
maybe completely missunderstanding what you want?

Cheers,

Piers Harding.

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 06:42:58PM +0900, Jason Cruz wrote:
> Sorry for my late reply.
>
> I am trying to look for a ruby gem that will connect to sap (aside from
> saprfc gem). My idea of integrating ruby with sap is just like using
> watir to make a test script for a web page. If you've already seen watir
> drived websites, well that's what I want to do (manipulate objecs inside
> a program).
>
> Currently, i'm doing scripts in watir for process automation in the
> websites that I am handling. This process automation is what I wanted to
> do in sap, using ruby (to make a script for automating the reports that
> I generate in sap).
>
> As for now, i'm still exploring if my idea is possible...
> If anyone has an idea about how to solve my problem, your help is highly
> appreciated.
>
> unknown wrote:
> > I've been watching with interest to see if anyone replied to this, but
> > it doesn't look as though they're going to :-(. I'm afraid I can't
> > answer your question: I'm also working on Ruby to SAP, but have settled
> > on the RFC route. I'm intruiged by your application,though: my interest
> > is in providing a web interface to the R/3 system, but it sounds as
> > though you're planning to replace the SAP screens entirely... Would be
> > very interested to hear what you're doing and how you get on.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Catherine

Home - http://www.piersh...
xmpp:piers@ompka.net

Jason Cruz

I'm sorry for my late reply (again).

Hi Piers and thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is an OLE automation.

I was hoping if i can manipulate the objects inside sap (clicking gui
buttons, entering text in textboxes etc in sap). Like what watir (web
application testing in ruby) can do to a html webpage (clicking buttons
and entering text in textboxes automatically), this is what i want to do
in sap. Are there any ruby gems/libraries (aside from your sap::rfc)?
Could you please give me the website where I can download these/this
ruby gem(s)?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Piers Harding wrote:
> Hi - is this an OLE automation type thing that you are thinking of?
>
> If it is - then there are drivers for the SAP GUI, but then again I
> maybe completely missunderstanding what you want?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Piers Harding.

Soumyanath Chatterjee

Piers Harding wrote:
> Hi - is this an OLE automation type thing that you are thinking of?
>
> If it is - then there are drivers for the SAP GUI, but then again I
> maybe completely missunderstanding what you want?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Piers Harding.

I was searching for a similar functionality and come across this post.
It will be of great help if some one can direct me on SAP OLE
interfacing using ruby.

Regards

SOumya