Re: How to verify cgi.params values?

Justin Collins

7/25/2006 6:39:00 PM

tesla wrote:
> Figured it out by trial and error. I was trying to strip an object so I
> datatyped it to a string and then used strip
>
> username = cgi.params['username'].to_s.strip
> profession = cgi.params['profession'].to_s.strip
>
> This works unless there is something else I should use?
> Coming from PHP so this is not easy.

Yes, use:

username = cgi['username'].strip
profession = cgi['profession'].strip

This will return what you are wanting. Using CGI#params[] returns an
Array for each parameter (in case it has multiple values). CGI#[]
returns just a single value (the first in the array), which is what you
want.

It was useful for me to use:

p username
p profession

to see what was going on. Then read the documentation:

http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/cgi/rdoc/classes/CGI/QueryExte...

Hope that helps.

-Justin