Re: Export Data from Microsoft Access database

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

7/24/2006 1:34:00 PM

Jatinder Singh wrote:
> How could I leverage Ruby to export mdb tables definations, data, forms,
> queries and then be able to import it in to some other dbms like
> oracle/db2
> etc?
>
> Regards,
> Jatinder

On WIndows, there is ODBC, of course, and there's an "Access engine"
that has part of the functionality of the real thing. If you have an
Access license, there's OLE/DCOM.

On Linux, try unixODBC or mdbtools
(http://sourceforge.net/projects...). I'm not sure if any of
these (other than OLE/DCOM) are accessible directly from Ruby yet.

1 Answer

Leslie Viljoen

On 7/24/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Jatinder Singh wrote:
> > How could I leverage Ruby to export mdb tables definations, data, forms,
> > queries and then be able to import it in to some other dbms like
> > oracle/db2
> > etc?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jatinder
> >
> On WIndows, there is ODBC, of course, and there's an "Access engine"
> that has part of the functionality of the real thing. If you have an
> Access license, there's OLE/DCOM.
>
> On Linux, try unixODBC or mdbtools
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects...). I'm not sure if any of
> these (other than OLE/DCOM) are accessible directly from Ruby yet.

I did some work using Ruby and Access. I wrote some of my findings on
RubyGarden:
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/Scrip...

Les