How to create standl alones applications with Ruby

Pepe Sanchez

7/24/2006 12:09:00 PM

Hi all

In .NET, Eclipse/SWT, Interface Builder (mac os X) it is possible to
create a new form, and use drag/drop controls such as textboxes,
comboboxes, lists, datagrids, etc. And Also create reports in a similar
way, for example with Crystal Reports.

What tools are available with Ruby to create stand alone application
using forms and reports, where I can drag and drop controls.

thanks
jsn

Farrel Lifson

On 24/07/06, Jose Pepe <jsnit@jsnit.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In .NET, Eclipse/SWT, Interface Builder (mac os X) it is possible to
> create a new form, and use drag/drop controls such as textboxes,
> comboboxes, lists, datagrids, etc. And Also create reports in a similar
> way, for example with Crystal Reports.
>
> What tools are available with Ruby to create stand alone application
> using forms and reports, where I can drag and drop controls.
>
> thanks
> jsn

You can use Glade which is a visual designer for GTK/Gnome
applications. The Ruby/Gnome2 bindings can then use the glade file to
build up your app GUI.

Farrel

Matthew Harris

And don't forget about the Qt Designer for Qt/KDE applications.

--
Matt

Pepe Sanchez

Is it possible to combine for example a SWT Eclipse form in java, and
Ruby?

thanks
jsn

Matthew Harris wrote:
> And don't forget about the Qt Designer for Qt/KDE applications.

cdc

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:57:14AM +0900, Jose Pepe wrote:
> Is it possible to combine for example a SWT Eclipse form in java, and
> Ruby?

I haven't messed around with this but using JRuby I'd think so. Could use
SWT/Eclipse framework for interface and Ruby for back end processing.

brabuhr

On 7/24/06, Jose Pepe <jsnit@jsnit.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to combine for example a SWT Eclipse form in java, and
> Ruby?

JRuby has some examples using swing; I don't know if anyone has tried
using SWT yet.

RubyCLR can use Windows.Forms.