Shared memory between servers.

pedro.baldanta@gmail.com

7/24/2006 8:43:00 AM

Hi all:

I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??

Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
servers.

This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.

Any idea?

3 Answers

Farrel Lifson

On 24/07/06, pedro.baldanta@gmail.com <pedro.baldanta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
> shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??
>
> Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
> array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
> all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
> servers.
>
> This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.
>
> Any idea?

Drb could fit the bill:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/drb/rdoc/...

It's in in the standard lib.

Farrel

Eyal Oren

On 07/24/06/07/06 17:45 +0900, pedro.baldanta@gmail.com wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
>shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??
>
>Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
>array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
>all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
>servers.
>
>This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.
check memcached [1], a cache shared over multiple servers; it can be used
for what you want, but it may very well be an overkill. A ruby binding
available at [2].

-eyal

[1] http://www.danga.com/...
[2] http://www.deveiate.org/projects/...