Re: Yadda yadda yadda operator

dblack

Simon Kröger

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> I think I misunderstood the original thing (namely, that it's supposed
> to raise an exception). Still, I'm perfectly happy with the
> (admittedly less cutesy :-) technique:
>
> raise
>
> or some variant thereof.
>

> David

but can we really live on, knowing that perl has a "yadda yadda" operator and
ruby does not? *g* we should at least have a "yabba dabba do", shouldn't we?

cheers

Simon

Rimantas Liubertas

> but can we really live on, knowing that perl has a "yadda yadda" operator and
> ruby does not? *g* we should at least have a "yabba dabba do", shouldn't we?

I have a theory that programming languages die with version 6.
Now this yadda yadda thing only confirms it... ;)

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rim...

usenet

Rimantas Liubertas <rimantas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> but can we really live on, knowing that perl has a "yadda yadda" operator and
>> ruby does not? *g* we should at least have a "yabba dabba do", shouldn't we?
>
> I have a theory that programming languages die with version 6.
> Now this yadda yadda thing only confirms it... ;)

Only a theory, or anecdotical proof as well ? :)

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

dblack

Rimantas Liubertas

> > I have a theory that programming languages die with version 6.
> > Now this yadda yadda thing only confirms it... ;)
>
> Only a theory, or anecdotical proof as well ? :)

This very much depends on how you define "death" of programming language.

VB6 (it is interesting that VB started as "Ruby").
Perl6, PHP6, Java6 - who will choose them over Ruby? ;)

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rim...

Rimantas Liubertas

<...>
> Another nice thing is that when you are preparing code for release you can
> easily *grep yadda *(or *fgrep ...*) and make sure that nothing is left
> over.
>
> Simple raise won't do *that* for me.
<...>
> And you could change it to:
>
> def yadda(*comment)
> raise "Yadda point reached. Comment: " + comment.shift.to_str
> end

Well, you can use raise "Yadda ...your comment here" and grep will
work again :)

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rim...

Burt Adsit

Interesting... I thought that only I had been adversely affected by the
Inky Foxes intro to Ruby. It seems to be viral in nature, more
widespread than I had could have imagined.

Oh, the horror.

Burt

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Simon Kröger wrote:
> ruby does not? *g* we should at least have a "yabba dabba do", shouldn't we?

yabba dabba don't

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
>> > I have a theory that programming languages die with version 6.
>> > Now this yadda yadda thing only confirms it... ;)
>>
>> Only a theory, or anecdotical proof as well ? :)
>
> This very much depends on how you define "death" of programming language.
>
> VB6 (it is interesting that VB started as "Ruby").
> Perl6, PHP6, Java6 - who will choose them over Ruby? ;)
Yeah ... but Java 5 is really Java 1.5. :)

I'm guessing I'll live to see Ruby 3 ... not sure beyond that. Matz, how
about skipping some numbers so we can catch up?

<ducking>