predefined variables and constants question

simonh

7/22/2006 2:21:00 PM

hi all. pages 333 to 337 in pickaxe2 list a whole load of global
variables/constants, execution environment variables, standard objects
etc.

Is it just me or does this not seem to break with the usually
beautifully tidy, object oriented design of Ruby? I would have thought
all such things would have been defined in a class named something like
'Global'

I do not mean any offence to Matz and co. and there are probably good
reasons for things being as they are.

Ara.T.Howard

simonh

> but that woudn't be global then would it ;-)

Not sure I follow. Class Object is available at all times throughout a
ruby program so is therefore global. Wouldn't a class called Global (or
whatever) also be? Then one could maybe do:

Global.constants

Global.variables