dbus bindings

Eyal Oren

I'd like to use dbus from ruby, I found dbus-ruby [1] but it seems old
(01/2005) and deserted. It does not compile on my Ubuntu system; I think
because the dbus api changed significantly and dbus-ruby is no longer
compatible.

Does anyone know how to get dbus working from ruby?

-eyal

[1] http://rubyforge.org/projects...

2 Answers

Alex Gutteridge

Hi Eyal,

I had a look at this a few weeks ago and yes the dbus api seems to
have changed a lot. Some of it is simply a matter of renaming some
constants/functions and I did get a version that *almost* worked, but
I got distracted before I got it finished. Unfortunately I don't have
time to go back to it now, but I would be interested if you or anyone
else can get this working again. Sorry not to be more help.

On 22 Jul 2006, at 21:55, Eyal Oren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use dbus from ruby, I found dbus-ruby [1] but it seems
> old (01/2005) and deserted. It does not compile on my Ubuntu
> system; I think because the dbus api changed significantly and dbus-
> ruby is no longer compatible.
>
> Does anyone know how to get dbus working from ruby?
>
> -eyal
>
> [1] http://rubyforge.org/projects...

Dr Alex Gutteridge
Post-Doctoral Researcher

Bioinformatics Center
Institute for Chemical Research
Kyoto University
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011
Japan

Kristoffer Lundén

Eyal Oren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use dbus from ruby, I found dbus-ruby [1] but it seems old
> (01/2005) and deserted. It does not compile on my Ubuntu system; I think
> because the dbus api changed significantly and dbus-ruby is no longer
> compatible.
>
> Does anyone know how to get dbus working from ruby?

I'm also looking for a way to use dbus from Ruby. Since a lot of
applications under Linux (GNOME, KDE, and more) are starting to provide
information and control this way, there's a lot of cool things possible,
and of course I'd like to use ruby for this. :)

Dbus is looking to be a really important technology on Linux and
possibly other *nixes (and there's even a Windows port now).

Here's to hoping someone has the time to update the bindings...

-- Stoffe