Please help install DBI on a Windows systems...

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

7/22/2006 10:39:00 AM

I'm very frustrated because I've just spent the past few hours in the
middle of the night (the sun is already up) trying to figure out how to
install DBI for MySQL for Ruby on a Windows system and just failing
horribly.
You'd think it would be as simple as moving some files to the proper
directory and having everything "just work." Indeed, if it's more
complicated than that then I think someone screwed up.
Anyway, how the hell do I get this thing to work?
Thank you...

3 Answers

Patrick Spence

> I'm very frustrated because I've just spent the past few hours in the
> middle of the night (the sun is already up) trying to figure out how to
> install DBI for MySQL for Ruby on a Windows system and just failing
> horribly.
> You'd think it would be as simple as moving some files to the proper
> directory and having everything "just work." Indeed, if it's more
> complicated than that then I think someone screwed up.
> Anyway, how the hell do I get this thing to work?
> Thank you...

Thereâ??s a good tutorial, including installation instructions located
here http://www.kitebird.com/articles/rub....

Daniel Berger

tesla wrote:
> Okay, now there is a tutorial covering DBI and specifically Patricks
> problem
> with installation.
>
> http://www.hiveminds.co.uk...

You'll want to pull the source from RubyForge, not SourceForge:

http://rubyforge.org/projects...

Also, there's an entry for ruby-dbi on the RAA:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project...

Regards,

Dan

Curt Hibbs

On 7/22/06, Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality
<ihatespam@rogers.com> wrote:
> I'm very frustrated because I've just spent the past few hours in the
> middle of the night (the sun is already up) trying to figure out how to
> install DBI for MySQL for Ruby on a Windows system and just failing
> horribly.
> You'd think it would be as simple as moving some files to the proper
> directory and having everything "just work." Indeed, if it's more
> complicated than that then I think someone screwed up.
> Anyway, how the hell do I get this thing to work?
> Thank you...

If you are using the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows, then DBI is
already included, and all you need is the MySQL/Ruby driver for DBI.
You can pick up an already built binary here:

http://www.vandomburg.net/pages/mysql-ru...

Curt