Re: Ruby and XFDF

Frank Davis

7/21/2006 5:31:00 PM

I'm doing the same thing in a C# application. The technique I use should
work fine in Ruby also. The XFDF files are pure XML, so I use an XML
builder to generate the XFDF file. Under Windows, I can also take
advantage of the fact that files with a .xfdf extension are associated
with Acrobat. For example, if I tell Windows to execute "MyForm.xfdf",
Acrobat will launch, read the xfdf file, and automatically open the
Acrobat PDF listed in the xfdf, and populate the form fields using the
data in the xfdf file.

-----Original Message-----
From: listrecv@gmail.com [mailto:listrecv@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:00 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Ruby and XFDF

I need to fill out PDF forms with XFDF files in Ruby. I can't find any
lib that can do this - does anyone know of one?

Failing that, I can invoke another process - but I can't find a command
line tool for this either - pdftk handles FDF, but not XFDF.

Any ideas?

1 Answer

List Recv

Frank Davis wrote:
> I'm doing the same thing in a C# application. The technique I use should
> work fine in Ruby also. The XFDF files are pure XML, so I use an XML
> builder to generate the XFDF file.

Yes, that's exactly why I'd like to work with them. Very easy to do
this accurately using REXML (or similar).

> Under Windows, I can also take
> advantage of the fact that files with a .xfdf extension are associated
> with Acrobat. For example, if I tell Windows to execute "MyForm.xfdf",
> Acrobat will launch, read the xfdf file, and automatically open the
> Acrobat PDF listed in the xfdf, and populate the form fields using the
> data in the xfdf file.

Intersting approach. I need this to run automated, on a (Linux)
server, so this idea won't work. Any other ideas?