Beyond threads? Better concurrency methods?

anmus

7/19/2006 5:33:00 PM

Hi All,

The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).

The author has three points:
1. Threading is an error prone method of parallelizing a program.
Basically, his thesis is that thread packages support non-deterministic
coding and then adds methods of constraining the non-determinism, and
that such methods are brain-twistingly difficult to write and read,
difficult to test, and have latent bugs that don't appear for years
which are correspondingly impossible to duplicate.

2. Better methods of expressing concurrency exist, have been implemented
in many obscure languages, and still don't have mainstream acceptance.

3. The author advocates use of 'coordination' or 'composition' languages
on top of existing general purpose languages to express concurrency.
These coordination languages still have a lot of work yet to be done. My
thought is perhaps Ruby can express concurrency cleanly _without_
needing another language.

I thought this idea might appeal to Matz, language-aficionado that he
is, and that Ruby has demonstrated with Rake and Rails that not having
multiple languages in a development environment has benefits.

My point in posting this message is to ask the Ruby community if it is
worth thinking about laying some foundations in Ruby 2.0 and YARV to
elegantly support other methods of expressing concurrency. Perhaps this
work won't show results until Ruby 3.0, but reserving some keywords in
the grammar and some hooks in the VM may yield dividends in the future.

It is clear to me that single processor machines are becoming quaint,
and that the new norm in desktop machines will be multi-core, multi-chip
SMP and NUMA machines along with clusters for servers.

In this new environment, if Ruby can seamlessly and cleanly take
advantage of available concurrent resources, it will be a huge win for
Ruby over other popular languages. My hope is that the Ruby VM will take
care of each architecture's concurrency ugliness behind the scenes,
leaving the fun stuff in front.

Yes, I'm posting this essentially anonymously. I'm new to Ruby, and
rusty at coding and threading. I'm intrigued by the idea of having fun
again and I want Ruby to be the best language it can be. I did search
the archives for discussions of concurrency and parallelism - I didn't
find very much. I also want to be able to attend Ruby events without
needing a paper bag on my head if it turns out that this is a pointless
post. I trust the community won't flame me too badly.

-AA
32 Answers

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Beyond threads? Better concurrency methods?"
on Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:35:13 +0900, anmus <anmus@anmus.info> writes:

|The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
|thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).

|I thought this idea might appeal to Matz, language-aficionado that he
|is, and that Ruby has demonstrated with Rake and Rails that not having
|multiple languages in a development environment has benefits.

Interesting. But I don't have IEEE Computer magazine at hand. Could
anyone point me further information about this 'coordination'?

matz.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

anmus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
> thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).
>
> The author has three points:
> 1. Threading is an error prone method of parallelizing a program.
> Basically, his thesis is that thread packages support
> non-deterministic coding and then adds methods of constraining the
> non-determinism, and that such methods are brain-twistingly difficult
> to write and read, difficult to test, and have latent bugs that don't
> appear for years which are correspondingly impossible to duplicate.
>
> 2. Better methods of expressing concurrency exist, have been
> implemented in many obscure languages, and still don't have mainstream
> acceptance.
>
> 3. The author advocates use of 'coordination' or 'composition'
> languages on top of existing general purpose languages to express
> concurrency. These coordination languages still have a lot of work yet
> to be done. My thought is perhaps Ruby can express concurrency cleanly
> _without_ needing another language.
I read the article and somewhat vaguely remember what the author
recommended. I think "still have a lot of work yet to be done" is a
gross understatement. :)

> I thought this idea might appeal to Matz, language-aficionado that he
> is, and that Ruby has demonstrated with Rake and Rails that not having
> multiple languages in a development environment has benefits.
>
> My point in posting this message is to ask the Ruby community if it is
> worth thinking about laying some foundations in Ruby 2.0 and YARV to
> elegantly support other methods of expressing concurrency. Perhaps
> this work won't show results until Ruby 3.0, but reserving some
> keywords in the grammar and some hooks in the VM may yield dividends
> in the future.
Uh ... the primitives need to be in the OS for most
"concurrency/parallelism" implementations. Keywords and virtual machines
come after that. And for the primitives to be in the OS, they need to be
in the hardware. The paradigms supported by today's hardware and
operating systems are the paradigms that have a track record for the
most part.

> It is clear to me that single processor machines are becoming quaint,
> and that the new norm in desktop machines will be multi-core,
> multi-chip SMP and NUMA machines along with clusters for servers.
And the stories I'm seeing in the trade press are that "parallel
programming" is no easier today than it was when Gene Amdahl first
published his law. There aren't any silver bullets.

> In this new environment, if Ruby can seamlessly and cleanly take
> advantage of available concurrent resources, it will be a huge win for
> Ruby over other popular languages. My hope is that the Ruby VM will
> take care of each architecture's concurrency ugliness behind the
> scenes, leaving the fun stuff in front.
Strangely enough, I don't recall ever seeing a *real* programming
language, to be distinguished from academic ones, that ever handled
parallelism in a manner other than as calls to run-time libraries. Ruby
already has that.

Well, actually, there was *one* ... Occam for the Transputer. Some
companies actually built products around this, although they were not
economically viable. Ruby seems to be too well established for it to
suffer this unhappy fate.
> Yes, I'm posting this essentially anonymously. I'm new to Ruby, and
> rusty at coding and threading. I'm intrigued by the idea of having fun
> again and I want Ruby to be the best language it can be. I did search
> the archives for discussions of concurrency and parallelism - I didn't
> find very much. I also want to be able to attend Ruby events without
> needing a paper bag on my head if it turns out that this is a
> pointless post. I trust the community won't flame me too badly.
No, it's not a pointless post by any stretch of the imagination. I think
most of us over a certain level of experience in programming have these
dreams. In my own career, so far I've had the dreams of automatically
proving programs correct, widespread adoption of formal semantics in
programming languages, functional languages and programming styles
dominating the practice, literate programming, the ability to write
programs faster, etc. All of these dreams have fallen to the tyranny of
"good enough", and I suspect "seamless supercomputing" is another one.
So I write my code the way I know how, hope that others can read it, try
to keep it simple enough that I can convince myself it's correct, and
try to reserve the time to refactor.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Beyond threads? Better concurrency methods?"
> on Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:35:13 +0900, anmus <anmus@anmus.info> writes:
>
> |The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
> |thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).
>
> |I thought this idea might appeal to Matz, language-aficionado that he
> |is, and that Ruby has demonstrated with Rake and Rails that not having
> |multiple languages in a development environment has benefits.
>
> Interesting. But I don't have IEEE Computer magazine at hand. Could
> anyone point me further information about this 'coordination'?
>
> matz.

It's on line ... try the IEEE "Computer" web site. I saw a link go by on
this list back when it was published.

Daniel DeLorme

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Interesting. But I don't have IEEE Computer magazine at hand. Could
>> anyone point me further information about this 'coordination'?
>>
> It's on line ... try the IEEE "Computer" web site. I saw a link go by on
> this list back when it was published.

It sounds really interesting and I'd love to read it, but there's no way I'm
going to pay 19$ for one puny article.

Computer, May 2006
http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&toc=comp/mags/co/2006/05...

The Problem with Threads
http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&toc=comp/mags/co/2006/05...&DOI=10.1109/MC.2006.180

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel DeLorme wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>> Interesting. But I don't have IEEE Computer magazine at hand. Could
>>> anyone point me further information about this 'coordination'?
>>>
>> It's on line ... try the IEEE "Computer" web site. I saw a link go by
>> on this list back when it was published.
>
> It sounds really interesting and I'd love to read it, but there's no
> way I'm going to pay 19$ for one puny article.
>
> Computer, May 2006
> http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&toc=comp/mags/co/2006/05...
>

> The Problem with Threads
> http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&toc=comp/mags/co/2006/05...&DOI=10.1109/MC.2006.180

Ah ... maybe it was free only when first published. :(

rubyfan

On 7/19/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> anmus wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
> > thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).
> >
> > The author has three points:
> > 1. Threading is an error prone method of parallelizing a program.
> > Basically, his thesis is that thread packages support
> > non-deterministic coding and then adds methods of constraining the
> > non-determinism, and that such methods are brain-twistingly difficult
> > to write and read, difficult to test, and have latent bugs that don't
> > appear for years which are correspondingly impossible to duplicate.
> >
> > 2. Better methods of expressing concurrency exist, have been
> > implemented in many obscure languages, and still don't have mainstream
> > acceptance.
> >
> > 3. The author advocates use of 'coordination' or 'composition'
> > languages on top of existing general purpose languages to express
> > concurrency. These coordination languages still have a lot of work yet
> > to be done. My thought is perhaps Ruby can express concurrency cleanly
> > _without_ needing another language.
> I read the article and somewhat vaguely remember what the author
> recommended. I think "still have a lot of work yet to be done" is a
> gross understatement. :)
>
> > I thought this idea might appeal to Matz, language-aficionado that he
> > is, and that Ruby has demonstrated with Rake and Rails that not having
> > multiple languages in a development environment has benefits.
> >
> > My point in posting this message is to ask the Ruby community if it is
> > worth thinking about laying some foundations in Ruby 2.0 and YARV to
> > elegantly support other methods of expressing concurrency. Perhaps
> > this work won't show results until Ruby 3.0, but reserving some
> > keywords in the grammar and some hooks in the VM may yield dividends
> > in the future.
> Uh ... the primitives need to be in the OS for most
> "concurrency/parallelism" implementations.

I've got an SMP kernel.

> Keywords and virtual machines
> come after that. And for the primitives to be in the OS, they need to be
> in the hardware.

I've got a dual core processor.

> The paradigms supported by today's hardware and
> operating systems are the paradigms that have a track record for the
> most part.

Some support for parallelism seems to be already in place at that OS
and hardware levels. I think the point of the article (which I only
read a summary of) was that we need better ways of describing
parallelism (better ways than threads).

> > It is clear to me that single processor machines are becoming quaint,
> > and that the new norm in desktop machines will be multi-core,
> > multi-chip SMP and NUMA machines along with clusters for servers.
> And the stories I'm seeing in the trade press are that "parallel
> programming" is no easier today than it was when Gene Amdahl first
> published his law. There aren't any silver bullets.
> >
> > In this new environment, if Ruby can seamlessly and cleanly take
> > advantage of available concurrent resources, it will be a huge win for
> > Ruby over other popular languages. My hope is that the Ruby VM will
> > take care of each architecture's concurrency ugliness behind the
> > scenes, leaving the fun stuff in front.
> Strangely enough, I don't recall ever seeing a *real* programming
> language, to be distinguished from academic ones, that ever handled
> parallelism in a manner other than as calls to run-time libraries. Ruby
> already has that.

In the hardware world there are HDLs (hardware description languages)
which model parallelism using an RTL/dataflow model. Oddly enough,
the hardware folks are trying to figure out how to use C/C++ to model
hardware. I'm wondering if they're going the wrong direction; C/C++
don't seem to be a good fit for hardware design from what I've seen so
far. Maybe we need to inroduce dataflow concepts into general purpose
programming languages. (project plug: See RHDL:
http://rhdl.ruby... ).

The basic idea is that in an HDL everything is happening at once; all
statements outside of a process block execute concurrently. Inside a
process they execute as they would in a normal programming language,
but all of the processes are considered to be executing in parallel.
processes get triggered by changes in signals. Of course HDL
simulators often make use of threads or continuations (RHDL uses
continuations which in turn are implemented as threads in Ruby).

Hardware in inherently parallel. You can think of logic gates as
being simple little processors. Outputs change when inputs change.
dataflow. That's why HDLs were developed in the mid 80's to model
hardware.

Phil

Pit Capitain

Yukihiro Matsumoto schrieb:
> In message "Re: Beyond threads? Better concurrency methods?"
> on Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:35:13 +0900, anmus <anmus@anmus.info> writes:
>
> |The recent IEEE Computer society magazine 'Computer' May 2006 has a
> |thought-provoking article on threading and concurrency (p. 33).
>
> Interesting. But I don't have IEEE Computer magazine at hand. Could
> anyone point me further information about this 'coordination'?

Matz, you can find it online from

http://www.computer.org/portal/site...

Regards,
Pit

on Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:18:42 +0900, Pit Capitain <pit@capitain.de> writes:

|Matz, you can find it online from
|
| http://www.computer.org/portal/site...

Thank you, unfortunately I have to buy the article for $19.00, which
seems too expensive for a single article.

matz.

Srinivas Jonnalagadda

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 16:39 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Thank you, unfortunately I have to buy the article for $19.00, which
> seems too expensive for a single article.

Could you try this URL --
http://www.computer.org/portal/site/computer/menuitem.5d61c1d591162e4b0ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1_article&TheCat=1005&path=computer/homepage/0506&file=cover.xml&xsl=articl...

Best regards,

JS

on Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:43:49 +0900, Srinivas JONNALAGADDA <srinivas.j@siritech.com> writes:

|Could you try this URL --
|http://www.computer.org/portal/site/computer/menuitem.5d61c1d591162e4b0ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1_article&TheCat=1005&path=computer/homepage/0506&file=cover.xml&xsl=articl...

Good, good. Thank you. I will examine the article later.

matz.