Re: One-Click Installer: MinGW? or VC2005?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

7/19/2006 3:55:00 AM

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> The One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows is at a cross-roads. The C++
> compiler situation on Windows has become a complete mess because of
> subtle
> incompatibilities and has, consequently, become a big headache for me and
> extension writers.
>
> I need to decide whether future versions of the One-Click Installer are
> built with MinGW or MS VC2005 Express (both compilers are free). My
> bias has
> been to go with VC2005 on the theory that the MS compiler will always
> be the
> most compatible with Windows, itself.
>
> However, Ara Howard makes a case (see below) for MinGW, so I want to
> have a
> public discussion of the pros and cons of each path (please don't suggest
> cygwin, it snot an option).
>
> I'd like to ask that only those who have actual experience compiling
> extensions for Ruby respond and that we keep the discussion to the
> pros and
> cons of choosing MinGW or VC2005. I need to fully understand the
> implications before choosing a path.
Is cross-compiling/linking with GCC on a GNU platform a viable third
option? MinGW tends to lag "real" GCC. Given that you plan a Linux
release of the One-Click Ruby Installer, could you save yourself some
hassles with a cross-builder?

2 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Is cross-compiling/linking with GCC on a GNU platform a viable third
> option? MinGW tends to lag "real" GCC. Given that you plan a Linux
> release of the One-Click Ruby Installer, could you save yourself some
> hassles with a cross-builder?
By the way, the people who build R for Windows have a very extensive
tool set. The build process, however, is complex, quite brittle and
changes often. I went through it once (on a laptop dual-booted with
Linux :) ) and I must say if you're good at following directions exactly
to the letter, you've got at least a 50% chance of a successful build.
Surely Microsoft makes something a little better than that. :)

Austin Ziegler

On 7/18/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Is cross-compiling/linking with GCC on a GNU platform a viable third
> option? MinGW tends to lag "real" GCC. Given that you plan a Linux
> release of the One-Click Ruby Installer, could you save yourself some
> hassles with a cross-builder?

No. I would stop using the One-Click Ruby Installer if that were the
direction chosen and start offering my own based on something more
useful. Cross-compiling should be used only if that's the *only* way
to get a good build for a platform (e.g., PalmOS).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/