Match doesn't match

Volkan Civelek

7/19/2006 12:57:00 AM

arg1 = "(1)a"
arg2 = "(1)a"

if arg1.match(arg2)
puts "Matched"
else
puts "Don't Matched"
end

gives me "Don't Matched" ??

Regards,
Volkan

Alexandru Popescu

arg2 should be escaped as () has a meaning in regexps.

arg2 = "\\(1\\)a"

p "match" if arg1.match(arg2)

hth,

/alex
--
w( the_mindstorm )p.

On 7/19/06, Volkan Civelek <vcivelek@yahoo.com> wrote:

> arg1 = "(1)a"
> arg2 = "(1)a"
>
> if arg1.match(arg2)
> puts "Matched"
> else
> puts "Don't Matched"
> end
>

> gives me "Don't Matched" ??
>
> Regards,
> Volkan

Mike Stok

On 18-Jul-06, at 8:57 PM, Volkan Civelek wrote:

> arg1 = "(1)a"
> arg2 = "(1)a"
>
> if arg1.match(arg2)
> puts "Matched"
> else
> puts "Don't Matched"
> end
>

> gives me "Don't Matched" ??

That's because parentheses are special in a pattern, and that's what
the String#match expects as an argument. You can use Regexp.escape
to escape special characters:

mike$ irb --prompt simple
>> arg1 = "(1)a"
=> "(1)a"
>> arg2 = "(1)a"
=> "(1)a"
>> arg1.match(arg2)
=> nil
>> arg1.match(Regexp.escape(arg2))
=> #<MatchData:0x34d6ac>

Hope this helps,

Mike

--

Mike Stok <mike@stok.ca>
http://www.stok...

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.

Morton Goldberg

Try it with

arg1 = "(1)a"
arg2 = '\(1\)a'

The problem is that arg2 is converted to a regular expression by
"match" and "(" and ")" are special characters in regular expressions
and, therefore, must be escaped.

Regards, Morton

On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:57 PM, Volkan Civelek wrote:

> arg1 = "(1)a"
> arg2 = "(1)a"
>
> if arg1.match(arg2)
> puts "Matched"
> else
> puts "Don't Matched"
> end
>
> gives me "Don't Matched" ??
>
> Regards,
> Volkan

benjohn

> arg2 should be escaped as () has a meaning in regexps.
>
> arg2 = "\\(1\\)a"
>
> p "match" if arg1.match(arg2)

Possibly, Volkan Civelek, you simply wanted to see if the two string
were equal? In that case you would do:

arg1 = "(1)a"
arg2 = "(1)a"

if arg1 == arg2
puts "Matched"
else
puts "Don't Matched"
end

Cheers,
Benj

Yer Pal Al

On Jun 20, 3:13 pm, SeaWoe <midl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and
> > >   silent we may be led, like sheep, to the slaughter.
> > >   -- George Washington
>
> > >   When governments fear the people there is liberty.
> > >   When the people fear the government there is tyranny.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   If the representatives of the people betray their constituents,
> > >   there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that
> > >   original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive
> > >   forms of government ... The citizens must rush tumultuously to
> > >   arms, without concert, without system, without resource;
> > >   except in their courage and despair ...
> > >   The natural strength of the people in a large community, in
> > >   proportion to the artificial strength of the government, is greater
> > >   than in a small ... the people, without exaggeration, may be said
> > >   to be entirely the masters of their own fate.
> > >   -- Alexander Hamilton
>
> > >   We in America do not have government by the majority.
> > >   We have government by the majority who participate.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good
> > >   conscience to remain silent.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of
> > >   the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe
> > >   depositories.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now
> > >   let us show them we can fight like men also.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will
> > >   delineate and define you.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on
> > >   does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which
> > >   they draw their gains.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
> > >   corporations which dare already to challenge our government to
> > >   a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
> > >   liberties than standing armies.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > >   Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government
> > >   those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations,
> > >   perverted it into tyranny.
> > >   -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> > Get rid of that third-world filth polluting CA and it would again be
> > a most delightful place.
>
> > Martin
>
> >http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/... Policy Institute

> Most Californians accept typical illegal aliens as a benefit to the
> state.
>
> The problem is the Republicans who don't want to raise taxes

I guess if you raised taxes the people will have less money to pay
illegals to do their housework and they'll go home.

> curebproblems and the Dems who don't
> want to cut back on semi-useless programs.
> This is compounded by requiring more bthan a simple majority for
> action.

The Gubanator must look like a genius now for allocating $150M for
stem cell research.

Talk-n-dog

Yer Pal Al wrote:
> On Jun 20, 3:13 pm, SeaWoe <midl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Get rid of that third-world filth polluting CA and it would again be
>>> a most delightful place.
>>> Martin
>>> http://www.nationalpolicyinst... National Policy Institute
>> Most Californians accept typical illegal aliens as a benefit to the
>> state.
>>
>> The problem is the Republicans who don't want to raise taxes
>
> I guess if you raised taxes the people will have less money to pay
> illegals to do their housework and they'll go home.

You could just tax the illegals.....

>> curebproblems and the Dems who don't
>> want to cut back on semi-useless programs.
>> This is compounded by requiring more bthan a simple majority for
>> action.
>
> The Gubanator must look like a genius now for allocating $150M for
> stem cell research.

Support our troops, O5 and below. SeaWoe

On Jun 20, 10:09 pm, Talk-n-dog <Talk-n-...@talk-n-dog.com> wrote:
> Yer Pal Al wrote:

> >> Most Californians accept typical illegal aliens as a benefit to the
> >> state.
>
> >> The problem is the Republicans who don't want to raise taxes
>
> > I guess if you raised taxes the people will have less money to pay
> > illegals to do their housework and they'll go home.
>
> You could just tax the illegals.....

> >> curebproblems and the Dems who don't
> >> want to cut back on semi-useless programs.
> >> This is compounded by requiring more bthan a simple majority for
> >> action.
>
> > The Gubanator must look like a genius now for allocating $150M for
> > stem cell research.- Hide quoted text -

You take care of your state - we'll take care of ours

4:20PM,10 miles from the pacific, traffic outside light and bright,
sunny, birds tweeting and so on.

Yer Pal Al

On Jun 20, 10:09 pm, Talk-n-dog <Talk-n-...@talk-n-dog.com> wrote:
> Yer Pal Al wrote:

> >> Most Californians accept typical illegal aliens as a benefit to the
> >> state.
>
> >> The problem is the Republicans who don't want to raise taxes
>
> > I guess if you raised taxes the people will have less money to pay
> > illegals to do their housework and they'll go home.
>
> You could just tax the illegals.....

I wouldn't count on criminals voluntarily reporting the government. I
wouldn't count on criminals paying their taxes at all.