newbie demo 2 sceptics in my company....

dave rose

7/18/2006 2:01:00 PM

...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in a web
browser
entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby ..... and a
(maybe the in the same ruby program)
hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo 2 my
company's
sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....

James Gray

On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:

> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in a web
> browser
> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
> and a
> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo 2 my
> company's
> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....

Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)

We wish you the best of luck with your demo!

James Edward Gray II

dave rose

James Gray wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
>
>> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in a web
>> browser
>> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
>> and a
>> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
>> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo 2 my
>> company's
>> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....
>
> Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
>
> We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
>
> James Edward Gray II

oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby... and does
1.8.2
windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of webbrick
to do this?
what is 'required'....

studlee2@gmail.com

Check out Instant Rails: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ins...

Then follow tutorials online. I'm still not sure why you want to put
Hello World. There is a lot of other cool things that take the same
effort as Hello World.

_Steve

Dave Rose wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
> >
> >> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in a web
> >> browser
> >> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
> >> and a
> >> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
> >> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo 2 my
> >> company's
> >> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....
> >
> > Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
> >
> > We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
> >
> > James Edward Gray II
>
> oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby... and does
> 1.8.2
> windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of webbrick
> to do this?
> what is 'required'....

greg.kujawa

The 1.8.2 Ruby One-Click Installer should come with webrick so you can
serve up web pages for your demo. As for using Ruby for generating the
HTML or invoking Ruby code within HTML check out
http://ruby.about.com/od/learnruby/p/hel.... HTH!

Dave Rose wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
> >
> >> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in a web
> >> browser
> >> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
> >> and a
> >> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
> >> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo 2 my
> >> company's
> >> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....
> >
> > Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
> >
> > We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
> >
> > James Edward Gray II
>
> oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby... and does
> 1.8.2
> windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of webbrick
> to do this?
> what is 'required'....

James Gray

On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Dave Rose wrote:

> James Gray wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
>>
>>> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in
>>> a web
>>> browser
>>> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
>>> and a
>>> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
>>> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo
>>> 2 my
>>> company's
>>> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....
>>
>> Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
>>
>> We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
>>
>> James Edward Gray II

Oh good, questions... ;)

> oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby...

There are many, many ways. For the first one, you will need to
decide on some way to display a web page. CGI, WEBrick, Rails, and a
lot more are all possible choices. When you find one you want to
work with, let the basics of working with that library or framework
and I'm sure you will run into a "Hello World" example along the way...

Rinse and repeat for a GUI framework.

I would probably choose WEBrick and Qt, but there are many other good
choices.

> and does 1.8.2
> windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of webbrick
> to do this?

Yes. WEBrick is a standard library and thus included with all Ruby
installs.

> what is 'required'....

require "webrick" # Is this what you meant?

James Edward Gray II

Mat Schaffer

On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
>>> ...i have 1.8.2...and i want to do a http hello world program in
>>> a web
>>> browser
>>> entirely self-contained within one computer using 1.8.2 ruby .....
>>> and a
>>> (maybe the in the same ruby program)
>>> hello world using GUI windows within the same computer for a demo
>>> 2 my
>>> company's
>>> sceptics....this computer is win2000 ....
>>
>> Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
>>
>> We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
>>
>> James Edward Gray II
>
> oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby... and does
> 1.8.2
> windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of webbrick
> to do this?
> what is 'required'....

I don't know your situation, but you might want to take a look at
some of the presentational material at: http://www.ruby-doc.o...
Or some of the screencasts at: http://www.rubyonrails.org/s...

Like steve said, there are a lot of things more interesting than
hello world. Hopefully these documents can help give you some ideas
on how to really drive the point home. Also, if your skeptics are
coming from Java or ASP, I know there are some good presentations
geared toward converting people. I really liked the ASP video that
showed up on this list about a month or so ago.
-Mat

Mat Schaffer

On Jul 18, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Mat Schaffer wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Dave Rose wrote:
>> James Gray wrote:
>>>
>>> Your message doesn't contain a question. ;)
>>>
>>> We wish you the best of luck with your demo!
>>>
>>> James Edward Gray II
>>
>> oka...how does one do the above two hello world in ruby... and does
>> 1.8.2
>> windoze one-click installer (v1.8.2.1) also install enough of
>> webbrick
>> to do this?
>> what is 'required'....
>
> I don't know your situation, but you might want to take a look at
> some of the presentational material at: http://www.rub...
> whyruby
> Or some of the screencasts at: http://www.rubyonrails.org/s...
>
> Like steve said, there are a lot of things more interesting than
> hello world. Hopefully these documents can help give you some
> ideas on how to really drive the point home. Also, if your
> skeptics are coming from Java or ASP, I know there are some good
> presentations geared toward converting people. I really liked the
> ASP video that showed up on this list about a month or so ago.
> -Mat

Sorry for the self reply. That video link was easier to dig up than
I thought, so I wanted to send it:
http://tinyurl... [groups.google.com]
-Mat

dave rose

Mat Schaffer wrote:
>>> 1.8.2
>> Like steve said, there are a lot of things more interesting than
>> hello world. Hopefully these documents can help give you some
>> ideas on how to really drive the point home. Also, if your
>> skeptics are coming from Java or ASP, I know there are some good
>> presentations geared toward converting people. I really liked the
>> ASP video that showed up on this list about a month or so ago.
>> -Mat
>
> Sorry for the self reply. That video link was easier to dig up than
> I thought, so I wanted to send it:
> http://tinyurl... [groups.google.com]
> -Mat
..oka...all of your replies are helpfull and i will follow all of your
leads....what impresses me about ruby is that you can present a gui on
both
a web browser AND a windoze gui screen

greg.kujawa

Good luck with your demo. Please let us know how it went. Once you
start getting into it a lot of things should impress you about Ruby.
It's relatively expressive, elegant, and easy to read. Plus the
syntactical rules won't have you scratching your head while trying to
learn the language. The community is friendly and helpful, which makes
being a newbie less intimidating. Plenty of languages will allow you to
script out GUI apps on a web browser and on top of a Windows OS. But
not all of these make it as fun as Ruby does ;-)