Ruby for office database application

pedro alvarez

I have volunteered at my local charity to develop a database
application, which
keeps track of contacts, donations, organizations etc.
i decided to use ruby for the job

My question now is what frontend/approach should i use?
local hosted rails or desktop gui?(eg fox/gtk gui)?

i was thinking of using rails, but i noticed most similar apps use
either access or
sql server 2000 database with a .net/visual basic frontend.

I would really welcome any advice or tips.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

pedro alvarez wrote:
> Hi,
> I have volunteered at my local charity to develop a database
> application, which
> keeps track of contacts, donations, organizations etc.
> i decided to use ruby for the job
>
> My question now is what frontend/approach should i use?
> local hosted rails or desktop gui?(eg fox/gtk gui)?
>
> i was thinking of using rails, but i noticed most similar apps use
> either access or
> sql server 2000 database with a .net/visual basic frontend.
>
> I would really welcome any advice or tips.

If you have Windows machines, I'd recommend using "Instant Rails". It
comes bundled with Ruby, Rails, Apache and MySQL, so you don't need
anything else except a browser and some kind of text editor to develop
your application.

studlee2@gmail.com

I agree about the Instant Rails Development comment for Windows users.
If you decide to move away from Instant Rails, portability is simple.
I think using the Rails framework will give you the most productivity
based on the usage of a backend database, but you have to make the
ultimate decision since you know the customers intent and your own
skill set. Good Luck!

_Steve